Re: Steve Brown is a jerk!! He should be fired!

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 11:58:05 AM -0800, Dean Blackburn (deano@xxxxxxx)
wrote:

> Looking at this thread, and then the last paragraph of the wiki
> page, I just have to shake my head...
>
> "Last, but not least, contact the SquirrelMail Project Team, which
> can give you advice for free. Please note that this free service is
> "best effort only", i.e.  you can't demand answers within a certain
> timeframe in the same way as when you have a commercial support
> agreement."
>
> If this really was Steve's best effort, then Steve shouldn't do
> support, period (though he may be great at other things!). Leave it
> to someone else, or don't reply... And definitely don't trot this
> out as a "funny ha-ha" to the members

or, even worst, make it more known through Digg.

I agree 100% with Dean here. The original post of this person:

> Not sure if you can help me.  My company currently uses Squirrel
> Mail for our email.  We are having a problem that our email system
> gets full quickly. I believe we only have 10 meg.  How can I upgrade
> to higher megs?? Please inform.

is polite, acknowledges that she's not sure she's asking in the right
place and demonstrates that she is a perfectly normal member of the
human race: that is, she belongs to that 99.995% of human beings who
has no idea whatsoever what software is, doesn't want to know and
isn't worth less for this. Is every FOSS developer a competent
accountant, fiscal lawyer, surgeon or car mechanics?

When a person has (politely) asked for help and demonstrated that she
has not understood what is written on a website because she has no
software knowledge, giving an answer like Steve's:

> This is a long shot since you obviously don't know how to read a web
> page on how to get help or how to read a manual, but:
> http://www.netapp.com/

that is one which is ruder than the initial message, and (on purpose)
*surely* incomprehensible for that receiver, is not polite nor
mature. It would have been much better to answer something like "I'm
sorry, your problem surely cannot be resolved from Squirrelmail but
only from the company which runs your website".

I agree with everybody else that the _following_ answers from that
woman are unacceptable and I wouldn't want anybody with that attitude
working for me, but this is absolutely NO excuse or reason for Steve's
initial reaction (for the terribly simple reason that came _after_
it), so it really doesn't make sense, or help your position, to repeat
it all around the net.

Ciao,
	Marco

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73