Re: Steve Brown is a jerk!! He should be fired!

Were we all *really* supposed to get this?

>From what I can tell, a user in a critical support state asked (without a lot of technical finesse, sure) for help politely, and DID receive what I would call a rude response. I get the "attempted connection to humor" of what followed, but would this flamefest have even happened if the response had been more in line with the (much more helpful, plain-speaking) advice on this page: http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/SeekingHelp ?

Looking at this thread, and then the last paragraph of the wiki page, I just have to shake my head...

"Last, but not least, contact the SquirrelMail Project Team, which can give you advice for free. Please note that this free service is "best effort only", i.e. you can't demand answers within a certain timeframe in the same way as when you have a commercial support agreement."

If this really was Steve's best effort, then Steve shouldn't do support, period (though he may be great at other things!). Leave it to someone else, or don't reply... And definitely don't trot this out as a "funny ha-ha" to the members of your mailing list, many of us (just guessing here) do get paid to care about supporting our end-users, and it really sends an awkward message that you guys don't (or don't get that you did it exceedingly poorly in this case).

Also, a tip for next time: if you don't have time to answer someone's question (that has been asked a million times before and is in the FAQ), SEND THEM TO THE FAQ, not a wholly unrelated/unaffiliated website.

And if you need a more concrete example of the best way to respond to the underinformed, this is not only humorous, but a shining example of how being polite is always a good thing: http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=127

Thanks,

-deano

Marc Groot Koerkamp wrote:
Hello Stephany,

Steve is absolutely right. If you have read our web page or manual you
would have known that:
1: SquirrelMail is an imap client;
2: We are developers of SquirrelMail and do not host mail;
3: SquirrelMail is an opensource project with only volunteers and no
people to fire;
4: We have special mailing lists for user questions.

What does this tell about you?
1: You don't have a clue about what SquirrelMail is;
2: You don't have any sense of humor;
3: You are rude.

If I was your boss I would fire you (hopefully your boss robert reads
this). If you always communicate the way you do I feel sorry for the
company you work for.

In the mean time we continue with our unpaid but satisfying work on
SquirrelMail and make our other 100.000.000? users happy with our product.
Say hi to the people from netapp and goodluck with your job and all your
problems.

Regards,

Marc Groot Koerkamp
Development leader SquirrelMail.

PS: Steve, you still have your Job ;-)

On Fri, January 26, 2007 5:10 pm, Steph / Coletta Contracting Company Inc.