Re: Steve Brown is a jerk!! He should be fired!

On 1/26/07, M. Fioretti <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 11:58:05 AM -0800, Dean Blackburn (deano@xxxxxxx)
> wrote:
>
> > Looking at this thread, and then the last paragraph of the wiki
> > page, I just have to shake my head...
> >
> > "Last, but not least, contact the SquirrelMail Project Team, which
> > can give you advice for free. Please note that this free service is
> > "best effort only", i.e.  you can't demand answers within a certain
> > timeframe in the same way as when you have a commercial support
> > agreement."
> >
> > If this really was Steve's best effort, then Steve shouldn't do
> > support, period (though he may be great at other things!). Leave it
> > to someone else, or don't reply... And definitely don't trot this
> > out as a "funny ha-ha" to the members
>
> or, even worst, make it more known through Digg.
>
> I agree 100% with Dean here. The original post of this person:
>
> > Not sure if you can help me.  My company currently uses Squirrel
> > Mail for our email.  We are having a problem that our email system
> > gets full quickly. I believe we only have 10 meg.  How can I upgrade
> > to higher megs?? Please inform.
>
> is polite, acknowledges that she's not sure she's asking in the right
> place and demonstrates that she is a perfectly normal member of the
> human race: that is, she belongs to that 99.995% of human beings who
> has no idea whatsoever what software is, doesn't want to know and
> isn't worth less for this. Is every FOSS developer a competent
> accountant, fiscal lawyer, surgeon or car mechanics?

The point is, I think, that this person crossed the line between
asking for help in the right place and the wrong place.  Support
emails are not invited at the personal email addresses of any of the
developers (although the prominence of the "About" page might make
that slightly hard to understand to a layperson).

> When a person has (politely) asked for help and demonstrated that she
> has not understood what is written on a website because she has no
> software knowledge, giving an answer like Steve's:

The act of sending to Steve personally is a pretty big no-no, however,
which is the point you are entirely missing.

Steve's personal email is just that, and he is free to respond to his
personal email in any way he sees fit.  As the inquiry was uninvited,
and not unique, I can understand why his response came out the way it
did (let's not over-dramatize his response, either -- while perhaps
harsh and probably incomprehensible to the recipient, it certainly is
true -- the person was intelligent enough to find both his and Marc's
email addresses, but was apparently unable to look around the website
any more than that).

As you say, FOSS developers are not all lawyers and car mechanics --
they are normal people.  SOME are car mechanics, SOME are lawyers, and
ALL of them have factors in their own lives, just like that of the
original person, that make them stressed out, that contribute to
making mistakes and so forth.  What FOSS developers have that people
like the original person MIGHT (not) have in other aspects of their
lives, is a willingness to take big chunks out of their lives to
create things that the rest of us use in on a daily basis -- with
relatively little thanks.  And so sure, while putting the exchange up
on Digg might be in poor taste, I think the reaction by many people on
Digg and here to show this as a shining example why FOSS is inherently
flawed and all FOSS developers are the same anti-social geeks who
should never come out of their holes is just totally out of
proportion.

Once in a blue moon, someone will post a thread on our lists that says
"thank you guys for what you do", and those rare moments are truly
invaluable to those of us who get a constant barrage of emails that
are sometimes much worse than the original one in this case,
lambasting us for something or other that we actually have nothing to
do with.  Most of those emails get answered with quiet, polite
frustrated and let some of it show in responses so some of the more
"clueless" inquiries.  We're all human after all.  We could all
probably use some stress-relieving in our lives.  In the case of
unpaid FOSS developers, why are people so quick to jump on bandwagons
about how wrong they are and how they are all assholes?  Can't you
just go buy a Microsoft product instead and stop with the negativity
when you don't pay us a single euro?  Exactly what do we owe you after
all?

That said, constructive feedback (and yours, Marco, isn't really out
of line, but some on Digg were) is always appropriate, but in general
I think the level of understanding could be higher.  We probably DO
owe you an effort to be as human and civil as possible (just as every
human owes the same -- NOTHING to do with FOSS), but you owe us some
slack sometimes, everything considered. (just as we probably owe you
slack too...)

 - Paul