Re: Steve Brown is a jerk!! He should be fired!

> > The point is, I think, that this person crossed the line between
> > asking for help in the right place and the wrong place.
>
> This is no excuse at all (as it was already said) to react in _that_
> manner.

No maybe not, but everyone like yourself who has jumped on this so
hard is being very unfair in not understanding or acknowledging that
the request was inappropriately sent... and apparently unaware of the
volume of such requests that flow into our inboxes on a regular basis.

> > The act of sending to Steve personally is a pretty big no-no,
> > however, which is the point you are entirely missing.
>
> No. What you are missing is that the problem for Squirrelmail and the
> general FOSS community is not _what_ Steve did but (how it was already
> pointed out) _how_ he did it. Manners matter.

Please.  I have not missed this point at all.  In fact my very point
in the 2nd half of my message addresses why I think this happens
sometimes.  I implore you to read my message with more care.

> Had he just replied "I am very sorry, madam, but this is a personal
> address, you can only receive support through the mailing list, please
> don't ask here anymore, period" instead of deliberately sending the
> same message in a much ruder format, there would have been nothing to
> worry about. That's all there is to it, really.

That's NOT all there is to it.  To say that is to egregiously
oversimplify a situation that is not as easy as you'd like it to be.
For one, if the hundreds of people like yourself think that your
message template is new to any FOSS developer, think again.  We send
out hundreds of similarly-worded messages.  It's really easy to take a
seemingly rude email and label it as sent by an "asshole" and just
dismiss it and for some reason, the rest of the FOSS community along
with it.  It's preposterous to over-generalize with statements like
yours: "[this is] the problem for Squirrelmail and the general FOSS
community".

My message was begging people who were making such broad sweeping
statements based on an event that has a lot more context than you are
acknowledging to understand that in the grand scheme, it is not the
single most defining characteristic of FOSS (some of those Digg people
really think so?  sheesh) and to spend a little more time thinking
about the human factors involved in such situations.

However, if you or any such person continues to think that these kinds
of attitudes are in fact what defines SquirrelMail and the rest of the
FOSS community, I encourage you to stop using FOSS and pay Microsoft
for all your needs, where you'll surely get treated with much more
(fake/forced/inhuman) respect...because I'm not sure why anyone would
willingly expose themselves to what they perceive as continual abuse
and disrespect, and as far as I'm concerned, we don't actually owe you
much more than what we are already giving.