Re: Fwd: Re: merging mono files

On 2016-12-11 20:39, Dr. Mark Bugeja MD wrote:
> So before I run the attached vbs file, is it ok?

It looks ok, but you're going to have to edit this file each time you
want to
merge a different set of samples, and you'll have to change three lines
in the
right way, each time.

You would be better to replace the lines that say:

   leftDir = "C:\Program Files
(x86)\sox-14-4-2\input\Recit-Organ\Basson16L\"
   rightDir = "C:\Program Files
(x86)\sox-14-4-2\input\Recit-Organ\Basson16R\"
   stereoDir = "C:\Program Files
(x86)\sox-14-4-2\input\Recit-Organ\Basson16S\"

with

   Dim pathDir
   Dim sampname

   pathDir  = "C:\Program Files (x86)\sox-14-4-2\input\Recit-Organ\"

   sampname = "Basson16"      ' a sample name, without a trailing L or R

   leftDir   = pathDir & sampname & "L\"
   rightDir  = pathDir & sampname & "R\"
   stereoDir = pathDir & sampname & "S\"

then when you edit the file to process a different set of samples, you
will only
need to change one line, this one:

   sampname = "Basson16"        ' a sample name, without a trailing L or

each time.

And, as I said before, the actual sox command that Kevin's program
issues is
essentially

   sox -M leftfile ritefile stereofile

but someone-else pointed out that because your input files are NOT mono
files (ie
not files with only a single channel in them), you really need to issue

   sox -M leftfile ritefile stereofile remix 1 4

and to achieve that you need to find the line that says

   stereoDir & subName & "\" &  fileName)

and change it to

   stereoDir & subName & "\" &  filename & " remix 1 4")

For these two changes just copy & paste the text out of this email into
your
combine.vbs file.

There might be another problem though, depending on which version of
Windows you
are using, and whether you have UAC turned on (the thing that in W7, W8,
W8.1 &
W10 asks for your administrator's password when you do things that need
extra
authority).  You've apparently placed your sample files in

    C:\Program Files (x86)\sox-14-4-2\input\Recit-Organ\...

which is a folder, as the name "C:\Program Files (x86)" implies, which
is meant
to contain programs and other parts of applications, not sample data.
Normally
on W7 (perhaps) & definitely on W8, W8.1 and W10, Windows will not let a
running
program create or alter any data files in subfolders of that folder.

It disallows this so that malware cannot write files into C:\Program
Files...  or
make malicious alterations to files that are correctly installed there.
Now while
you are just reading audio samples from there, it will work ok, but when
you run a
sox command that tries to create a stereo file there, Windows should
either prevent
it, or ask for your admin password EVERY TIME.

The best solution would be for you to move all the audio samples out of
C:\Program
Files... and put them in a normal place for user data, eg your Documents
folder, or
a folder on your Desktop.

If you do move them then in your combine.vbs file that you sent, you
need to change
all three lines that say where the L & R files are and the S file be
written, or, if
you adopt the code I suggested, you will need to change this line:

   pathDir  = "C:\Program Files (x86)\sox-14-4-2\input\Recit-Organ\"

so that it points at the place you moved the sample files to.

> (please rename to rar as the file would not send)

There's no need to attach a file; just copy & paste the contents
straight into your
email.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own