Re: Fwd: Re: merging mono files

The files have to match in name not size

On 10/12/2016 00:41, Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users wrote:
On 2016-12-09 18:58, Dr. Mark Bugeja MD wrote:
neither will it preserve pitch information I noticed. :-(

Ok.... if I were to carry on with sox, what syntax would I need to use
so that all the 61 files in a folder are matched up with the
corresponding ones to output files with the same name in a different
folder?

The files are called by notes on a scale preceded by a number eg
036-C.wav, 037-C#.wav, 038-D.wav, and so on. I therefore need to match
the 036-C.wav in the left folder with the 036-C.wav in the right
folder.
Someone will need to give you a small program that can do that.  I'm not
going to,
because the language I write my utilities in won't be on your system and
you'd
have to install and configure it, and understand what you were doing
before you
could move on and actually use it.

But someone established elsewhere in the thread that VBS (I think it
was) will run
on your system.  I know nothing about VBS but someone will tell you what
to do.

Jan Stary has - again - pointed you at some code that would work on a
Linux system
but not on Windows.  In essence what it does is

  - makes a list of all the files in (eg a 'left files' folder), whose
names end in "wav"
  - then one at a time, work through that list, and:
      - work out the full name of the corresponding 'right' file
      - work out the full name of the corresponding stereo file
      - issue a sox command with all three names in it

As Jan pointed out, a simple loop like this isn't a terribly good idea;
it's better if
there are some sanity checks in it as well - making sure that the
derived 'right' file
actually exists before you try to use it, make sure that the result file
doesn't exist,
stop if the sox command fails...   If it were my code I would probably
also check that
the left & right files had the exact same size before they were used.

Avast logo