Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:56:58 -0600, you wrote:

>>As excellent as the Red Hat community is the community has no
>>experience in releasing timely bug fixes/security updates because the
>>community has not had to do it before.
>
>Ah, I see your point. Well taken, although incomplete. I mentioned _this_
>Red Hat community, since the lists are what I see most. However, Bugzilla
>appears to be alive and well and I do see a bunch of patches and
>suggestions and whatever coming from the community, not just RH employees.
>So while Debian may or may not have a better community in that sense (I am
>not qualified to offer an opinion on that), the RH community is not null
>and not ineffective.

However submitting patches to bugzilla is not the same as someone
applying a security fix, testing it to ensure it doesn't make the
situtation worse, and releasing it in a timely manner.  Or having
someone cover a package while someone is on holiday or while waiting
for a new permanent maintainer.  This is all stuff that the Fedora
project is having to create from scratch and until it is actually up
and running and has a period of x months for people to judge how
effective it is Fedora is not an option for many people.

Do I think it can be done?  The theory says yes, and the experience of
Debian/FreeBSD/etc say yes.  I certainly hope so.  But finding enough
qualified volunteers can be a difficult task.