Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

At 07:33 10/2/2003, you wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:28:27 -0600, you wrote:

>Just as with people, you generally get to know corporations and can
>judge/predict their behavior over time. And while you have chosen to fear

Ironic you bring up this arguement given the changes occurring.

Again, we see things differently.

I am different now (and I make different economic decisions) than I was/did five years ago. While some people don't like that, on average I'd say 99% of my customers prefer the way they're treated now although they've gained some stuff and lost some stuff. Still, overall I found ways to keep people happy and my work has improved.

The market in general, Linux in particular, and Red Hat, Inc. specifically have each also changed in the past five years (and yes, even in the last one year). So what? This changes nothing of what I said before, although perhaps I should rephrase "judge/predict their behavior" to "judge/predict their patterns of behavior or at least their reasoning and causes for exhibiting particular behaviors." I can't predict specific behavior from my wife, either, although I know her even better.

Now the community may well find a way to extend that, but if you are
going to rely on the community you may as well go with Debian whose
community at least has a track record on the issue.

You have a low opinion of both the existing Red Hat community and the existing Fedora community, apparently. I have been using Red Hat Linux since 3.0.3 in one way or another, and not once in my life have I contacted Red Hat, Inc. for phone or web support... I have found all the support I ever needed on these lists. That support (and some friendships too) is the reason why I still subscribe, still browse the messages, still try to help when I can, out of gratitude for all the times others have helped me.

If you place no value in that (see "Debian whose community at least has a track record" implying that this one does not), then fine... go with Debian, and Godspeed to you. But I like my community just fine, thanks.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx