Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:33:56 -0600, you wrote:

>You have a low opinion of both the existing Red Hat community and the
>existing Fedora community, apparently. I have been using Red Hat Linux
>since 3.0.3 in one way or another, and not once in my life have I contacted

I know nothing of the Fedora community.

I also have used Red Hat since 3.0.3. and have a high opinion of the
Red Hat community.  This is why I have continued useing Red Hat Linux
all these years, and why I am concerned about some of the changes
being made.

I can understand the desire, and the push from certain parts of the
community, for a more volotile and fast moving product.  Personally I
have no problem using such a product because upgrading my personal
machine is usually trivial and only takes my own free time.

The problem I and others have is the abandonment of those who need an
affordable, reliable product whose shelf life is longer than 6 months.
No, the Enterprise line does not count as affordable.

>If you place no value in that (see "Debian whose community at least has a
>track record" implying that this one does not), then fine... go with

As excellent as the Red Hat community is the community has no
experience in releasing timely bug fixes/security updates because the
community has not had to do it before.

Given the choice between betting ones business on an untested Fedora
community versus the Debian community that has a proven track record a
lot of people/businesses are going to choose the known entity (just as
many businesses chose Red Hat Linux while it existed because of the
Red Hat name).