Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

At 03:12 9/30/2003, you wrote:
On the Red Hat mailing list people are talking of changing to some other
distribution...

I sincerely hope that someone in the Red Hat house is taking notice of
this. Certanly this is not a good answer to their recent decisions.

I think you're very much overreacting. I'm sure they are paying attention, but I've been following these threads closely. Most of are speculating what'll happen, but I counted only about 10 people who were really seriously saying "I don't like it, I'm going away." Another 10 or 20 were simply saying "Hmm, big change... better evaluate the competition in case the end result isn't what I expect."

Let's say I somehow missed 10 people, or even 100 people, for each one I did see. Doubtful, since I get all the list traffic just like everyone else, but just for kicks and giggles. We then have 1,000 (the 10-or-so I saw times 100) who are leaving immediately, and another 2000 or so who are going to make sure they cover their backs by knowing what the competition offers at this point.

Considering the many thousands of people on this list, that's still a small fraction. My reading of this whole discussion is that most people would want a longer EOL for Fedora, but that otherwise it's wait and see for now.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx