Fedora and the consequences for business users [was: The end of RHL for private use?]

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" wrote:

> I think you're very much overreacting. I'm sure they are paying
> attention, but I've been following these threads closely. Most of
> are speculating what'll happen, but I counted only about 10 people
> who were really seriously saying "I don't like it, I'm going away."
> Another 10 or 20 were simply saying "Hmm, big change... better
> evaluate the competition in case the end result isn't what I expect."

> Considering the many thousands of people on this list, that's still
> a small fraction. My reading of this whole discussion is that most
> people would want a longer EOL for Fedora, but that otherwise it's
> wait and see for now.

The way Fedora seems to be going will finally address complaints about
missing new software or "why does Red Hat still ship version xx while
version xy is out for a whole week now". Red Hat is finally trying to
approach the average home user, and that's a Good Thing (TM). You know,
a lot of the success of Windows in the business world is based on the
fact that most employees (up to the management) already had Windows on
their home computer, so they decided for the OS they already knew. For
better success in the business world Linux needs to have more success in
the home computer market.

But on the other hand, Fedora isn't really usable for business
computers, especially servers. For business use, I need *stable*
software and a lifetime of at least 2 years, better three years, without
reinstall/complete update. Requirements for other business people may be
different, but these are mine. From how I understand the Red Hat
announcement, my business requirements will only be met by RHEL, thus
the price my company will have to pay will increase dramatically. I
won't be able to convince our management to spend so much money - they
aren't really fond of Linux because they cannot understand it... Yes,
security, stability and so on are nice to have, but the only thing that
really impresses the suits is money. I was able to convince them to use
Red Hat Linux for our servers only because I could prove that it would
save them a lot of money, and because I could tell them that Red Hat is
"Industry Standard" for Linux (silly thing, but the suits want that
term, so...). From what I understand, RHEL won't be much cheaper that
using Windows, so management will decide to use Windows instead. You
know, "one OS is cheaper to support than two". *Maybe* I can convince
them to use Debian - if my evaluation will show that it's a real
replacement for Red Hat (but it won't be "Industry Standard").
Personally, I doubt it. So my company will switch back to Linux, and I
may end up unemployed.

I'm sure there are lots of business users who can use Red Hat Linux only
because it saves their company money. With this advantage going away,
many of these companies will decide to drop Red Hat Linux, either for a
cheaper but reliable distro or for Windows. My personal opinion is that
only very few will stay with the high prices of RHEL - nearly all of
them are already buying RHEL. Red Hat is trying to make money, which is
absolutely fine for me (I convinced my managers to get RHN subscriptions
for each server even though I could just have grabbed the RPMs and write
a small script to install it everywhere). My fear is that the way Red
Hat is approaching will not generate much additional revenue, and will
additionally drive business users away from Red Hat and Linux in
general.

What I need for my company is something in between of Fedora and RHEL:
While I cannot afford RHEL because of the high price, I could live with
Fedora if a few things are changed: I need a lifetime of 2 years (maybe
I could live with 1.5 years, but that's the absolute minimum, and I
would prefer to have 3 years), and I need *stable* software. That means,
the Fedora packages would need to be divided into "stable" and "home
user" (or whatever you want to call them) packages. This means that
sometimes two different versions of the same package need to be
available. Of course I'm willing to pay for such a service, but it needs
to be well below the RHEL pricing. I understand that things become more
expensive over time. The current price of the Update module of 60.00
US-$ per year is nice, but it shouldn't be much more than 100.00 US-$
per year. I only need errata updates and the distinction between really
stable packages and the other ones, nothing more, just to keep the
servers running. No multimedia, no GUI things, just the bare bones. I
can only hope that Red Hat will offer such a system *soon*, or I'm
forced to move away. Money rules. :-(((

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/