Re: Fedora and the consequences for business users [was: The end of RHL for private use?]

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 15:41, Martin Stricker wrote:

> approach the average home user, and that's a Good Thing (TM). You know,
> a lot of the success of Windows in the business world is based on the
> fact that most employees (up to the management) already had Windows on
> their home computer, so they decided for the OS they already knew. For
> better success in the business world Linux needs to have more success in
> the home computer market.

Most of the people I talk to feel different about this point.  Most
users spend much more time on the box at work than they do at home.
They tend to take home what they learn at work.  Get them used to linux
at work and it will end up on the box at home.

> term, so...). From what I understand, RHEL won't be much cheaper that
> using Windows, so management will decide to use Windows instead. You
> know, "one OS is cheaper to support than two". *Maybe* I can convince

> I'm sure there are lots of business users who can use Red Hat Linux only
> because it saves their company money. With this advantage going away,

Cost of the OS is important , but not the only criteria used to base the
OS decision on.  First and foremost, it has to get the job done. In
selling linux to people, I talk about getting done what they want done
first.  Then I talk security (theft or destruction of data, viruses,
worms, etc).  Then I talk about getting support (either online through
mail list and search engines and web sites or through paid support).
It's the whole package that is important. If I can show them how to get
the job done in a more secure environment with good support, they often
expect to pay more than they currently do.  Usually I can show them that
the OS, support, and all the tools they need will actually cost less
than what they are now using.  That's just icing on the cake!

Sell the whole linux experience, not just the cost.

Doug