Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

At 11:40 10/2/2003, you wrote:
The problem I and others have is the abandonment of those who need an
affordable, reliable product whose shelf life is longer than 6 months.
No, the Enterprise line does not count as affordable.

I agree with both your points here. However, let's keep our heads for a while yet. Red Hat has unofficially said that they will release a product which meets the needs of that particular market (affordable and >9 months). That appears to be your market segment, and is most certainly mine; I don't want to run the business servers on Fedora simply because I don't want the workload of reinstalling and to some extent reconfiguring and relearning that often.

But they _are_ expected to release something for us, and soon.

>If you place no value in that (see "Debian whose community at least has a
>track record" implying that this one does not), then fine... go with

As excellent as the Red Hat community is the community has no
experience in releasing timely bug fixes/security updates because the
community has not had to do it before.

Ah, I see your point. Well taken, although incomplete. I mentioned _this_ Red Hat community, since the lists are what I see most. However, Bugzilla appears to be alive and well and I do see a bunch of patches and suggestions and whatever coming from the community, not just RH employees. So while Debian may or may not have a better community in that sense (I am not qualified to offer an opinion on that), the RH community is not null and not ineffective.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx