Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" wrote:

> At 11:40 10/2/2003, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> >The problem I and others have is the abandonment of those who need
> >an affordable, reliable product whose shelf life is longer than 6
> >months. No, the Enterprise line does not count as affordable.

> But they _are_ expected to release something for us, and soon.

I sure hope so! I have had a longer talk with management today - I need
a solution for our Linux servers by mid November (the time until end of
the year is needed for the validation process which is required in my
kind of business (pharmaceutical research, new drug approval process)).
If Red Hat has nothing to offer by then, I have no choice but use
something different.

> >As excellent as the Red Hat community is the community has no
> >experience in releasing timely bug fixes/security updates because
> >the community has not had to do it before.
>
> Ah, I see your point. Well taken, although incomplete. I mentioned
> _this_ Red Hat community, since the lists are what I see most.
> However, Bugzilla appears to be alive and well and I do see a bunch
> of patches and suggestions and whatever coming from the community,
> not just RH employees.
> So while Debian may or may not have a better community in that sense
> (I am not qualified to offer an opinion on that), the RH community is
> not null and not ineffective.

The problem here is two-sided: my own trust and what's better to sell to
my manafgement. I know from years of their existence that the Debian
community is capable of running a good Linux distribution. The Red Hat
community has not yet had the opportunity to prove this. I know nothing
about Fedora, so I'm a bit reluctant. Of course I hope to be proven
wrong, but at work I must not take chances. My management, with nearly
no clue about technology, understands the current situation about the
Red Hat distro roughly like this: The trustworthy company Red Hat, Inc.
has abandonned the affordable version of their Linux distro, and a bunch
of geeks now tries to run it. The name change to Fedora only makes
things worse - my management only trusts the name Red Hat. My management
doesn't realize Debian is community-driven (and I won't tell!), they
only have heared the name and think it's a company...

This is why currently Debian is easier to "sell" to my management than
Fedora.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/