Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

At 20:54 9/30/2003, you wrote:
Except this isn't the beginning.  Many people began to see the writing
on the wall when Red Hat 9 was first released and it was widely
discussed on these mailing lists at that time with the changes that
were apparent then.

This really is more a confirmation of the fears that were first
brought up several months ago.

Writing on the wall? Please. Fear all you like... you are still just guessing at the future, same way everyone else is, and there is NOTHING that makes your vision of the future more credible than anyone else's: not your claim that "many people" share your opinion, not the "writing on the wall" cliché subtly connoting hard evidence. Nothing.

Just as with people, you generally get to know corporations and can judge/predict their behavior over time. And while you have chosen to fear Red Hat (certainly a valid choice and one which it is your privilege to make), the behavior _I_ see is that of a company concerned with turning a profit and staying in business while continuing to contribute to their community as much as possible and serving as many users as possible with the best Linux software possible.

I do not claim Red Hat is perfect nor will I postulate Matthew Szulik for sainthood, but overall, I am extremely pleased with the Red Hat I have known for the last few years. That company (and there have been no recent important changes in staff which could indicate a change of behavior) would never purposely leave me out in the cold unless there was no way in hell they could sustainably maintain a "going concern" of Red Hat, Inc. I trust that they will put lots of effort into Fedora, and that Fedora is going to be even better for me than RHL was (yes, that means I trust that we will somehow achieve a longer EOL than 9 months, too). And I trust that RHEL will help the enterprise world reduce the MS monopoly which will definitely be a good thing for the entire market.

You go ahead and change to whatever you want. I'm staying RIGHT HERE until hell freezes over of Red Hat proves conclusively that they cannot or will not serve my customer segment any more. And I'm betting that neither is going to happen any time soon.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx