Associate Application Problem

Hi,

I'm trying to change the associated application for word processing
documents (I'm running RH9 with the Gnome desktop).  So, I right click
on the document (in this case, and rtf file), and choose Open With... An
Application (that is all that is listed because I have deleted the usual
OpenOffice association).  I get a message saying, there is no
application associated with... and choose the Associate Application
option.  I fill everything in the next window, and click on OK.  But,
the changes don't seem to get saved.  I double click on the file and get
a "Nautilus has no  installed viewer capable of...".  The same thing
happens when I try the process under Applications... Preferences... File
types and programs.  In fact, when I try to add the file type rtf, I get
a message that tells me that MIME type already exists - but it is not
listed anywhere in the extension list.  This is driving me nuts!  Why am
I having so much trouble with this?  Is there a file that I can manually
edit to provide this file association instead of going through the Gnome
menus?  I looked under .gconf and .gnome2 in my home directory, but
didn't immediately see anything.  Could some kind soul please provide me
with a bit of direction and help me reclaim my sanity?  Thanks very
much.

Scott