Re: eth0 fails SOLVED -- Now What Please?

> > > Both PCs are keeping their respective lights lit on
> > I tried every GUI-based method to look at files and folders, look at
> > network info, etc.  In no case did I find anything that recognized the
> > presence of a connection other than "Activated" at both ends for eth0,
> > and the lights on the autoswitch/hub.
> I'm not the only one reading these lists. You never know who might
> be reading your messages and would help if you included relevant
> information about your hardware and software environment. What
> network interface card is in the Linux machine? What driver is
> loaded? How did you configure the card? Is anything printed in the
> system's log files? How did you debug the network connection? What
> does "ifconfig -a ; netstat -nr" print before and after connection
> attempt? Has the same hardware worked before with Linux (maybe with
> an older distribution)?

I'm sorry.  I have previously posted most of that info to the list as I
plowed through the process of identifying the modem and nic.

The notebook nic is a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705.  Driver is bcm5700.
It was configured based on guidance from this list.  I have previously
posted the /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 output, and
/sbin/lspci I am happy to list those again or whatever other specific
settings may be of value.

The notebook comes from PowerNotebooks.com, never used with anything
other than RH9 since purchased new a few weeks ago, and is manufactured
by Quantas (Z500 series).  As mentioned above the software environment
of the notebook is RH9 -- stock.

I debugged the network connection following your instructions.  I have
made no further progress than your "simple private Class C private
subnet" settings.

Before I run "ifconfig -a ; netstat -nr", do these outputs (below)
suggest a need to reset anything so I get clean pre and post outputs, or
are they the pre and post outputs you seek?

ifconfig -a

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F:24:7B:55
     BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
     RX packets: 0 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
     TX packets: 0 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
     collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
     RX bytes: 0 (0.0 b) TX bytes: 0 (0.0 b)
     interrupt: 11 Memory: d0200000 - d0210000

lo   Link encap: Local Loopback
     inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
     UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16435 Metric:1
     RX packets: 60435 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
     TX packets: 60435 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
     collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
     RX bytes: 3936091 (3.7 Mb) TX bytes: 3936091 (3.7 Mb)

--

  ~~~
o['|']o  Thanks! dmc