Re: Still Need iptables Help

> Maybe I haven't made myself clear:
> It is _not_ the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file that gives the errors.
> It is the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup script.

OK, now I am clear on that.

> I wanted to see your /etc/sysconfig/iptables only to check what
> firewall you are running.

Oh, OK.

> So, if you read /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup in the lines
> I've posted earlier, you can see when and how it executes iptables.
> I've shown that the two commands give the same error messages if
> they are run without the RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT chain being available
> (and that should never be the case).

You are assuming more of my ability to read that code at the level you
can.  If lucky I might guess something, but little more.  I don't mind
tinkering at the command line level to solve failures of the automated
apps but am hardly adept at it.

""ifup eth0" may fail, but should not print iptables errors, because
it doesn't insert/delete any netfilter rules when the
RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT chain is not available. There is a rough check on
that in lines 191-of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup."

I tried to look here but neither gedit or vi provide line numbering and
Find in gedit takes one to a page of code but fails to highlight the
specific line.  I might well not understand what all of the conditions
were testing anyhow.

"See my previous mail as when you would (but should not) get them
(it's in lines 235- of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup)."

Is there a way I could delete or rename existing files, or disable the
firewall or something, then force everything to be recreated clean?  Or
would that not necessarily repair whatever was automatically written
incorrectly?

Thanks again!
--
dmc :-D