Re: Still Need iptables Help

On 08 Aug 2003 11:18:12 -0400, Colburn wrote:

> > The ifup script usually is protected against trying to insert rules
> > when the firewall is not active (it checks whether the
> > RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT chain is available). Did you modify it?
>
> Nope.
>
> > Do you still see those iptables errors upon "ifup eth0"?
>
> The error is:
> iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)

Which is what I explained in my previous message.

I quit here.

With the typos fixed, your /etc/sysconfig/iptables looks correct,
but that is hard to verify because you didn't post the original
unmodified file.

"ifup eth0" may fail, but should not print iptables errors, because
it doesn't insert/delete any netfilter rules when the RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT
chain is not available. There is a rough check on that in lines 191-
of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup.

Nevertheless you write you still get those iptables errors. Doesn't
make any sense unless the ifup scripts is a modified version or
your /etc/sysconfig/iptables script has other errors.

The output you posted early is this:

> Determining IP information for eth0 ... iptables:
> No chain/target/match by that name failed,
> Hostname: localhost.localdomain
> iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)

Reformatted it translates to this:

  Determining IP information for eth0 ... failed
  Hostname: localhost.localdomain

with the two iptables errors inbetween:

  iptables: No chain/target/match by that name failed,
  iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)

See my previous mail as when you would (but should not) get them
(it's in lines 235- of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup).

- --