Re: Still Need iptables Help

From: "Michael Schwendt" <ms-nospam-0306@xxxxxxxx>

> On 08 Aug 2003 13:51:12 -0400, Colburn wrote:
>
> > You are assuming more of my ability to read that code at the level you
> > can.  If lucky I might guess something, but little more.  I don't mind
> > tinkering at the command line level to solve failures of the automated
> > apps but am hardly adept at it.
>
> Ok, command-line level sounds good. You could provide a little bit
> of more info about your setup. What do you get for the following
> commands?
>
>   ls /etc/sysconfig/ip*
>   iptables-save
>
> > Is there a way I could delete or rename existing files, or disable the
> > firewall or something, then force everything to be recreated clean?
>
> Red Hat's firewall tool can do that. Or simply:
>
>   rm -f /etc/sysconfig/ip{tables,chains}
>   chkconfig ipchains off
>   service ipchains stop

After that line I always add "rpm -e ipchains" to get it out of the way
so it cannot confuse any further setup work.

>   chkconfig iptables off
>   service iptables stop
>
> After that, "service network restart" or "ifup eth0" at least should not
> give any iptables related errors anymore. ;)

It turns off the firewall. That means he'll be able to get the original
files pulled off the machine. He WILL want to get the firewall back up
fairly soon if the Linux machine is not behind a firewall already. (And
even in that case he might want a minimalist firewall with holes for
the local network only.)

{^_^}