Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 09:10:43AM -0500, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 09:53:52AM -0400, Michael George wrote:
> > Let's see...
> >
> > Basic Edition provides 90-days of Installation and Configuration support
> > (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm ET), and is available via download only.
> >
> > vs.
> >
> > Standard Edition provides a full year of Standard support (includes
> > Monday-Friday 9am-9pm phone support with 4 hour response (9am-5pm outside
> > North America) and a one year subscription to Red Hat Enterprise Network.
> > Customers ordering Standard Edition will receive a full boxed-product with CDs
> > and printed documentation and are also able to download the software if
> > desired.
> >
> > Okay, so with the basic edition I don't get the RHN subscription.  That takes
> > $350 to $410 per machine.
>

> You're still not reading the page!  Please read *all* of:
> http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/purchase/
>
> See the line that says "Red Hat Enterprise Network Services 1-Year"?
> See the checkmark in the column for "Basic Editions"?

Well, how many pages do I have to traverse before I can get the scoop on
what the new plan is?  That is the problem.  I am used to reading the
redhat-watch-list for updates rather than using the RHN, but there's no
mention of that list playing into things at all.

I think that the volume of discussion speaks quite a bit about how confusing
the whole issue is.  Maybe they'd be well-served by having a short FAQ for the
change in releases.

I mean, it *is* quite a change for us who have set up just a few servers
internally or for friends' businesses who just put the servers in as a very
low-cost solution and how we have to either migrate them from RHL or explain
how they now have to pay for the system and then pay annually for upkeep.

I have liked RHL since I started using it in the 4.1 days.  There have been
issues, but I weathered them because I liked their product and the fact that I
could install their system and be alerted of updates on the watch-list for a
while after.

I think what we really need is time for things to shake out.  We have until
the end of the year.  In that time I'll probably try RHL9 and see how good it
is.  Used behind a firewall, security updates aren't as essential.

Y'know, though, I really liked how easy it is to watch redhat-watch-list for
updated packages and just update them manually.  Perhaps using RHN is as easy,
but it *is* still a change.  And as I said at first, I'm not paid for IT.
These changes have to be handled in addition to my other responsiblities.

Perhaps RH has been making it too easy for me and I've gone soft... :)

> Now what part do you still find confusing?  Let me know so that I can
> pass it on to my Red Hat contacts - you're not the first, but so far I
> haven't been able to make Red Hat realize that this is confusing.
> Perhaps if somebody can tell me what they can do to make it clearer,
> they'll make the change.

-Michael

--
A billion seconds ago Harry Truman was president.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.