Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 22:35, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:51:22PM -0500, Shawn wrote:
> > 2) Price. Don't charge me for support if I don't want it, if I just want
> > security updates for the next year, then fine, let me do that. Don't
> > force me to pay for support ahead of time.
>
> That's pretty much what you get with the basic download price ($180 for
> EW, $349 for ES).
>
> What people are doing the most bitching and moaning about is the fact
> that they want Red Hat to support the product for more than a 1 year.
> That costs money and they simply don't want to pay it.  That's their
> right.  They can either use the free version and get free updates for a
> year (or buy a boxed set and pay $60RHN per year)

The problem with this 60 USD is that it is PER MACHINE. and 60 goes WAY
more expensive if you go for the more "advanced" solutions, making the
TCO a LOT less attractive.

You do have the usual Free Software rights to copy the updates on all
the Free Software, HOWEVER, you have agreed not to do that. If you are
caught, RedHat may cancel your subscription.

This stinks because all the support we needed was a longer EoL in terms
of updates.

Couldn't RedHat just make a subscription plan like this? You pay for 5
years of EoL on updates. Period. No hotline nothing. It's just a
different plan targeted to experienced admins who only want to save some
time by not having to prepare the packages themselves.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?