Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:25:32AM +0000, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> The problem with this 60 USD is that it is PER MACHINE. and 60 goes WAY
> more expensive if you go for the more "advanced" solutions, making the
> TCO a LOT less attractive.
>
> You do have the usual Free Software rights to copy the updates on all
> the Free Software, HOWEVER, you have agreed not to do that. If you are
> caught, RedHat may cancel your subscription.
>
> This stinks because all the support we needed was a longer EoL in terms
> of updates.
>
> Couldn't RedHat just make a subscription plan like this? You pay for 5
> years of EoL on updates. Period. No hotline nothing. It's just a
> different plan targeted to experienced admins who only want to save some
> time by not having to prepare the packages themselves.

Exactly!  I will apply the RPMs and I will watch redhat-watch-list and the
updates dirs if I want more errata.  I don't need phone support or even email
support because usually things don't upgrade too badly.  But it does take time
to do so because before I trash a necessary machine, I have to put the new OS
on a spare partition and make sure all the tools will work (MySQL, PHP,
Apache) -- which is usually the case, but I want to KNOW.

And doing this annually is a PITA.

In my case, I am the SysAdmin, but that's not my sole job.  We are a small
company of 7 people.  We have my development server (RHL7.2), a public server
at RackSpace (RHL7.2), and an internal server (YDL2.3 which is similar to
RHL7.x).  They all run fine (sweet!) and I can put updates on the RHL machine
as I see them on redhat-watch-list.  But I'm a Software Engineer, not an IT
pro.  I *am* the defacto IT guy for the linux servers, but they pay me for
software engineering (primarily) not for SysAdmin.  It looks like the ES
package is what we'll need for the two intel boxes, but that's still $1,600
for the two machines to run ES with updates via RHN (do the updates still show
up on redhat-watch-list? I dunno...)!  Quite a change from the $40-180/machine
we paid when we first made this decision 2 years ago!

-Michael

--
A billion seconds ago Harry Truman was president.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.