Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:18:49PM -0400, Tom Ryan wrote:

> Of course, you could do without RHN and just install errata as necessary
> (though I imagine RH doesn't want you doing that :)

This is one question I've had...  For a couple years now I've been subscribed
to the redhat-watch-list and when package is listed there as needing an
upgrade, I get it.  One could also just make regular checks to the FTP mirrors
to see what's been changing in the updates section and keep updating your
packages as necessary.

Are both of these facilities still going to be in operation?

Of course, there is still a problem: I used to adopt one release after it had
some time for errata to come out.  Often, that was near the time the next
release was coming out (6mos.).  But now with the shortened duty-cycle of RHL,
that will only leave the 6mos of work being done on that distro...

Actually, I think it's kinda hard to tell right now which direction to turn,
because until RH9 is in use and we see what the next release looks like, it's
kinda speculative, isn't it?

As things stand now, though, it's hard to see how I can economically have RHL
on my home machine and get any updates if I have to pay for the standard
version ($400) and then stay on the RHN to keep getting updates...

But if I go with just RHL, then I have to go through the pain of an upgrade,
fixing things that don't work and waiting for errata, then they will only
publish errata for it for 1 year, that takes my
update-every-two-to-three-years cycle that was tolerable and blows it away.

I've been happy with RHL up to this point, and I'm still happily running 7.2
on my home machine and the company public server.  We run YDL on an internal
company server (YDL is based on RHL) so everything works well together...  I
don't want to swith to SuSe because of a different packaging scheme.  Mandrake
might be a good bet...

But I don't want to vary far from the YDL on the internal server, either...

I'd be happy to spend the money on RHN for RHL if they would support them more
like 24-30mos. but at only 12, what's the point?  I still have to upgrade
annually.  One things I've always appreciated about RHL is the support network
of these lists, but maybe mandrake has the same thing...

Best I can figure right now is that I'm going to wait until about the 3rd 1/4
to make a decision and see how things are shaking out.  Who knows, maybe there
will pop up another distro that will be like the "old" RHL system was...

--
A billion seconds ago Harry Truman was president.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.