Crash of Bash during Start of RedHat 9.0

Hello,

after a successful installation and update to Kernel 2.4.20-9, my RedHat
9.0 installation crashes when trying to activate the network device
eth0.

The message it gets is:

malloc: unknown: 0: assertion botched
free: start and end chunk sizes differ
stopping myself

That leads to an error inside the /etc/rc.d/rc so that the whole
initialization crashes presenting a normal prompt but does not even
grant root access.

I figured out, that when deactivating the eth0 interface, the system
starts up fine. I further figured out that the error occured inside ifup
and further inside /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post, but when I
comment that out, the system is able to install the eth0, but crashes
with the same error right before starting the next installation script.

My system uses the e1000 module and an Intel EtherExpress Card.

I'm not really sure if the error has something to do with this driver,
but I will try to get another NIC and test it with this.

Any help or thoughts are gladly welcome.

Thank you,

Heiko Kopp