Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 03:34:04PM -0500, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 08:53:18AM -0400, Michael George wrote:
> > software engineering (primarily) not for SysAdmin.  It looks like the ES
> > package is what we'll need for the two intel boxes, but that's still $1,600
> > for the two machines to run ES with updates via RHN (do the updates still show
>
> Yet another person who can't read or do math...Sigh...
>
> The basic download edition of ES includes 1 year of Red Hat Network
> updates.  This costs $349 per system.  For your 2 systems, that's *not*
> $1,600 but half that.

Let's see...

Basic Edition provides 90-days of Installation and Configuration support
(Monday-Friday 9am-5pm ET), and is available via download only.

vs.

Standard Edition provides a full year of Standard support (includes
Monday-Friday 9am-9pm phone support with 4 hour response (9am-5pm outside
North America) and a one year subscription to Red Hat Enterprise Network.
Customers ordering Standard Edition will receive a full boxed-product with CDs
and printed documentation and are also able to download the software if
desired.

Okay, so with the basic edition I don't get the RHN subscription.  That takes
$350 to $410 per machine.  And I want to use this "long EoL" release for more
than the one year, so add on the $60/yr. after that, per machine.  So while
you're right, it's not $1600/machine, but to have it for 3 years would be
350 + 60*3 = $530/machine.

Heck, the first year of errata shouldn't cost anything because you can get
free errata for the RHL9 for that year.

--
A billion seconds ago Harry Truman was president.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.