Re: OSX in a non-apple?

At 7:27 PM +0300 10/28/10, Trevor Cunningham wrote:
My home 'puter is an iMac and my Toshiba has a pile of books resting on it right now. Apple makes sexy, durable products, and their out-of-the-box usability/accessibility is unparalleled, no doubt. I have a 2.5 year-old niece that can navigate an iPhone to find videos on YouTube. It's just my personal bent that these products need not be designed with the lowest common denominator in mind.

If only. You should meet some of my clients. There's the one who's been using her Macs for 4 years now and still can't figure out how to email a jpeg from iPhoto. She's still using the hard return to arrange her text in documents and still wonders why they don't look right when she prints them. She has a Masters in Primary Education - more advanced degrees than I!

And then there's the one who can't remember how to find an application that she accidentally dragged out of the Dock one day.

 I'd hate to see The New Yorker written at a fifth grade reading level.

I'd hate to pay for my New Yorker subscription at the rate it costs to keep a PC network virus free!

I just find the concept of interchangeable parts a lot more egalitarian than aggressive user agreements and proprietary hardware antics.

Look exclusionary to me.  Most people have no desire

to walk into a parts store, walk out with a box, motherboard, hard-drive, processor, etc, and plug in a linux build.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx