Re: OSX in a non-apple?

Please don't get the impression I'm wavin' a Microsoft flag here either. My home 'puter is an iMac and my Toshiba has a pile of books resting on it right now. Apple makes sexy, durable products, and their out-of-the-box usability/accessibility is unparalleled, no doubt. I have a 2.5 year-old niece that can navigate an iPhone to find videos on YouTube. It's just my personal bent that these products need not be designed with the lowest common denominator in mind. I'd hate to see The New Yorker written at a fifth grade reading level.

I just find the concept of interchangeable parts a lot more egalitarian than aggressive user agreements and proprietary hardware antics. The ability for someone to walk into a parts store, walk out with a box, motherboard, hard-drive, processor, etc, and plug in a linux build (without ANY concern for where it comes from) speaks volumes. I understand there's no money in it, and, hence, little development beyond the benevolence of a select few, so this approach isn't exactly competitive. So, I do what I can, and choose not to put the Apple stickers that come with every item I buy anywhere they can be seen, other than a land fill, and opt out of the other opportunities given to me to pay thousands of dollars and still be a walking advertisement for Steve Jobs.

I'll stop my rant now. Sorry.