Re: PF gallery 04-10-10 disturbance

Emily, thanks for taking the time to put together your detailed comments.

As for the amount of thought behind the composition, my old contact sheet shows that I took only three shots of that pose with the self-timer and the camera on a tripod, then went on to hand-held shots of Maria by herself.   The best of the three was the second.

Looking back, I had no idea at all what I'd gotten because this was the time, long ago and far away, when digital was still some tech geek's dream.

My intent sprang from the fact that I currently was writing a novel about Maria's growing up in Italy, was (and still am) deeply in love with her, and got the idea for the pose from the famous painting by  Jean Léon Gêróme entitled Pygmalion and Galetea in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, which painting she and I stared at for a while, and which I photographed:

http://pics.livejournal.com/forioscribe/pic/004xhetc

The idea of my composition being, how much of this woman was/is an invention in my fiction, how much was real?