Re: darkroom chemicals

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert M" <written_by@xxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 6:23
Subject: Re: darkroom chemicals

: None of your references comes from Kodak.  A fine point, but quite
important
: in my view. Lets look at your references:

no you're right, it IS important.. and I am still dredging thu my
references to find the specific site link ..

: The Alt list is not a reference worth trusting a hundred percent of the
: time, no list is.

and here you and I can agree 100% ;-)  It was hardly a good starting
point..

: > http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/dirsci/dirsci.html

: One reference discussed microfilm and selenium. Apparently, the link
above
: references ongoing research and not hard data. I will admit, I did not
read
: it all. To lazy, I suppose.  Or, perhaps the reason is this: that page
was
: written in 1990 and therefore, it is (probably) out of date. That causes
: problem because much can be learned in five years.

the publications are available but I am too tight fisted to spend the $ to
buy their concluded articles, preferring to look for reputable references
to them - the institute has apparently finalised a fair few studies ..

in refence to one, this site
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/an/an12/an12-5/an12-507.html

suggests the IPI concludes:
"Geld (sic) and selenium treatments provide protection against peroxide
attack only in proportion to the degree to which the heavy metal is
substituted for the original silver image. In the absence of sulfiding
agents, even very high degrees of gold or selenium substitution do not
provide complete protection. In actual practice, when used as recommended,
the metal components of gold and selenium toners for microfilm do very
little to protect against oxidation; their effectiveness is almost entirely
due to the sulfiding action of other constituents of the toner formulas."

I have talked to conservators clearly without a clue and/or any deep
: knowledge about their freaking job.

Hahahahaha!  You too!? :-)  I had one guy urging people *SO STRONGLY* to
wash, wash wash their prints for hours.. the results were that all who took
this advice produced the ugliest, flattest prints with all the whiteners
washed out and what looked like most of the silver too!

: Sorry to break it to you, but some lists are started by people with very
: little knowledge about the topic the  list pertains to.

nono, that's not news to me - I've been wrestling with such things for
quite a time now too.

Someone told
: me iron was never used to make toners because it will not work. WRONG.
That
: Kodak never offered as many papers as I discussed. Wrong; Kodak offered
: hundreds of papers, grades 0-6 (in some cases) and dozens of surfaces not
: offered today.

ah, the old 'there's no such thing, never was never will be' argument -
quite funny when you're standing there holding a box of the product in your
hand!  No iron toners??  eeek!

: The "Image Permanence Institute" entry discusses microfilm, not
conventional
: film and papers.

here I'll suggest that microfilm is silver emuslions on the same film bases
we photog's use, allbeit microfine grain, and also that their concern for
image stability is of possibly more significance than ours (!)

: Forget toning and GPS for a moment. If the film is properly processed, it
: will last. Examples in my collection absolutely prove this and there can
be
: no debate. Yes, storage can make a difference, but these days, far too
many
: people point to dubious "proof" that is more often than not, a matter of
: guessing rather than actual hard supporting data. For all I know, these
: curious tests were not properly done.

true.  I have heard so much said and written about 'poor processing
practices' of the past, when any look at a 40's photo technique book will
clearly outline some of the tricks used by photographers to ensure repeat
sales or how to prevent those customers given proof albums from keeping the
proofs without paying for propper prints - printing out paper was one,
another was to not fix the prints, another was to leave the prints
saturated with fix.  I imagine without an adequate and specific history of
each photographer and each print, researchers drawing conclusions about
print longevity from a collection of fading prints will not yeild a great
deal of usable information.  Likewise the old FB Vs RC paper debate.  My
tests, destructive as they were, showed that under adverse conditions, B&W
RC papers *far* outlasted FB.  The books still continue to say that RC
papers haven't been with us all that long (how long has it been now?) and
they point to existing FB prints from way back as proof that FB is
superior.  personally I use both, selected for the surface texture more
than anything else.  Silverfish don't like RC paper much, slugs can be
encouraged to eat it though, but they have to be starved for a while first!

: Again, where does it specifically say, in Kodak's words, these toners and
: protectants do not work? I just took a look on Kodak's web site and they
: specifically recommend the use of Rapid Selenium Toner for Archival
: Processing. They recommend: "Dilute 1:20 for print protection and  1:20
or
: 1:40 to increase shadow contrast and maximum density with a minimum tone
: change." The same page mentions gold solutions; several in fact.

still looking (between typing this ;-)

<cliped vaild points>

:Test
: results also indicate that dry-mounted prints, no matter what board they
are
: mounted on, fare better than prints that are hinged or corner-mounted.
The
: dry mount tissue serves as a barrier to pollutants that have been
absorbed
: by the mount board."
:
:
: Our collection was stored in hundreds of liquor boxes; the plates and
: negatives were stored individually in Kraft paper envelopes, 11x14/16x20
: plates on shelves. Apparently this is a "bad idea," because it causes
: "problems" Sorry, my experience was this was not a big issue and the fact
: tat some of the images were produced in in the 1800s,  show the storage
: materials and storage conditions are  important, but not a guarantee that
: disaster will happen.

Youre seeing the same as I - stated, popular *facts* that are unsupported
by evidence.

: Why did they last? Well, we did things correctly. Proper chemical mixing,
: attention paid to exhaustion, stop bath, two fix baths, proper washing,
and
: the use of hypo eliminators. Since the 1800s, and no evidence of
: degradation, spots, funky tones, or smells.

I've heard stories about water colour images being of very poor longevity,
but very old watercolours still turn up, carefully folded between the pages
of books that show little discernable degredation.  Storage is what
archiving and preserving is all about.  Anything can be preserved stored
correctly - fish intestines, fungi, anything - the appropriate archiving
method is what's needed to ensure they survive.

: 100% rag board is mentioned but not discussed much. Except that it is a
bad
: idea and as the comment stands, silly to be sure. What kind of 100% rag
are
: we (they) talking about? I have many items printed on 100% rag and they
: suffer few problems. Our currency is 100% rag and it is exposed to many
: strange conditions. Still holds up. I have cheap stamped envelopes going
: back many decades, and still in perfect condition. It is quite likely
these
: envelopes are 100% rag.  I have some "dime novels" still in pristine
: condition, but printed on cheap paper pulp.

huh, rag's no good??

Much of the old rag seems to be hemp or linen in origin.. I wonder if the
reviewer was buying something *labelled* rag that was not in fact rag at
all..

: Furthermore, I have many images mounted on poor quality materials like
: pressed pulp and Masonite. Again, no problems. So what do I believe? My
: large collection of solid evidence or someone's "proof" the images will
not
: last?

yourself and your own experience ;-)

: I am all for testing. However, and no offence, but how are you testing?
How
: are your students testing? Specifics please.

"My fixing is adequate"

OK student number 1, apply a drop of sulphide solution on the paper and see
if it changes.. Oh looky there.. now go back and fix properly.

"My washing is adequate"

OK student number 2, apply a residual fix test.. grab the silver nitrate
and acetic acid solution. Place a drop on the edge of your print, flush
with a salt water solution after 2 minutes. Anything more than a light
yellow stain indicates residual fix

"Mine's washed well"
yup, the test shows there's no fix left, now lets stick it under karl's
Patented UV Densitometric Whitener Analyser and,  whooah!  you've washed
this for HOW LONG??!!

"My fix is not exhausted" or "my fix time is adequate"

Lets fog a piece of paper then drop it in the fix for as long as you'd
normally fix then wash it well, then drop it in the dev and give it the
usual dev time - now see that lovely dark grey colour - that means ALL your
prints will probably darken to that colour in time.

"Citic acid is FINE as a stop bath"

lets just grab some gear and do a titratrion, after pouring two fix/stop
bath combos and allowing them an hour to react/not react..  now see all
that sulphur that's precipitated?  Yup, you've just killed half of your fix
by carrying x amount of citric acid into the fix.

Now the goodies.

Sepia tone, Selenium tone, Gold tone some prints.  Now lets bichromate,
ferricyanate and iodide bleach them - oh, the sepia toned image wouldn't
bleach.. note that folks.  Now lets pour nasty oxidising agents across the
images - etc etc..  The course was an advanced diploma of science, not
arts, and we trained chemists, doctors, pharmacists, forensic cops and the
like - there was an artsy component but they were never allowed access to
the electron microscopes or gas chromatographs.  Those both are gone now as
the course has been dumbed down :-(

:You are probably not setup to
: properly test these issues; your students are most certainly not. I was
once
: a teacher at the SLC Art Center ("Art Barn," Finch Lane, Utah) so I know
: students will often parrot what they are told by their instructors.

ooh yeah!  hence my attempt to instill in them the philosophy that they
should read eaverything, listen to everything and believe nothing until
they were able to support the evidence themselves - just as I was tought
when studying chemistry.  Lecturer would blither on about some facet of
organic chemistry, the next lab session ould be to test and reproduce the
results.  I did those sorts of sciences, where you HAD to conduct
repetitious experiments to support or disprve stuff, not just observe and
conclude or parrot what you'd been taught.

: Last month I was told my statements about polarizers were wrong. I said
: solid glass polarizers are not available; all filters available to
: photographers are film sandwiched between glass.

well you're right.. I missed that one, I can't see how anyone could argue
that!

: Again, no offence, but, if you lecturing, why tell your students not to
: believe your words?

I am guiding them to finding or producing results, not spoon feeding them
*facts*  I had this happen to me at school and even as a kid, found much
nonsense in what was being taught.  I say a 50mm lens has a fov of X angle?
no, I say lets work out the FOV, how will we do that?  Lets grab the
optical bench, a target and a few other odds and sodds and next thing you
know these folks *know* what the angle is - better than having to remember
some idiot fact ... and they know *why* something is so :-)  I feel good .

: We live in a world where much of our knowledge is available with a simple
: Google search. Unfortunately, we have access to an equal amount of
incorrect
: information, as well. Then it spreads. God help us all.

hell yeah - I concur.  (damn, still can't find that ref!)

: For all I know, you are correct and Kodak did say what you say they said.
: So I am asking for a legitimate link to an exact quote from Kodak, not a
web
: site or mailing list. Back up your words and offer me a few crumbs. Until
: you do, I will refuse to believe you. Sorry about that (Smiley+)

hahaha :-)  I'm getting back to you with that ref soon (hope)

There are too many myths out there, too many observers who know little
about scientific method and aren't fussed about writing whatever they've
seen.

Some sciences cannot and do not work in a scientific way, they are merely
supported by other sciences.  oops, I was going to cite another example and
repeat my fault (which I confess!) of not providing adequate references..
let me find a book before I do that.

Re the gold toning or even selenium for that matter, I confess to having
swallowed the accepted theory for quite some time, but when the alternative
was put in front of me, my chemistry training kicked in.  There are a few
ways to protect metal - the one in which we are concerned with is plating.
now none of the metals used are sacrificial in any way (good), and neither
are they likely to cause the silver to become sacrificial (gooder! ;-) so
then what have we really got? -  A coating, much like putting on a coat of
paint.  In the same way, it does not work interactively with the metal
being protected but rather works as a barrier.

The chemical process involved to get that coating on is not electroplating
so we are not assured that the coating will be as uniform as
electroplating, and neither can it be as thick.  Chemical plating occurs
when a complex is formed which allows the gold/palladium/platinum salt or
whatever to form the chosen metal to the outside of the silver.  In an
emulsion there is NO way that we can assure uniform coating, so it's
safe(r) to assume the coasting is faulty.  this is a very valid assumption
but can be disputed as being at the heart of the discussion.  (still
lookin'!)

What of sulphide toning though - the chemical process is to use an oxygen
group element (S) to react with the silver salt produce silver sulphide.
This is a stable chemical that requires a repeated attack by a coplex ion
to allow it to react, so we're pretty safe with this salt which is dark
coloured (so we can see it on the print).  the sulphurous component is not
readily oxidised unless you subject it to high temperatures (read as burn
the print!) so all in all, it's a very good method of preserving the image.

Selenium toner - Selenium is an oxygen group element too, like sulphur but
it's less reactive and has a lower reduction potential than sulphur, but
higher than oxygen (sulphur has oxidation numbers of -2, 0, +2, +4 and
+6) - it tends to act more like the arsenic group than sulpur.

Sulpur is very reactive.. especially with elements of lower reactivity it
acts as an oxidising agent and forms sulphides - this reaction can be
vigorous with some metals, especially if the metal is finely divided ..like
photographic silver :-).

oh - here's one ref worth going through by Douglas W. Nishimura, Image
Permanence Institute, RIT:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/toning-permanence.html

..just thought it worth responding with *something* until I locate that
letter from Kodak.