Re: darkroom chemicals

> I only use selenium or metal toners for colour though as tests (mine,
> Kodaks and others) have shown they offer little to no protection, and in
> the case of selenium toner it can actually be detrimental to print
> longevity.  I know ALL the books say otherwise, but the simple fact is
that
> metal salts like gold only offer protection proportional to the amount of
> silver they replace, so yes if someone is prepared to completely bleach
> away the silver and replace it with that awful blue that gold produces
then
> by all mean, they now have a gold image, but any silver that remains is
> still susceptible to oxidation.  Only sulphiding offers true protection.

Not so fast. Where does Kodak say "metal" toners do not offer protection?
Gold toner is ideal for toning images because the images is "plated." Kodak
offered "Gold Protective Solution" just for this consideration. All the
books are wrong? Not by a long shot.

Selenium toner does not necessisarily degrade prints, by the way. Selenium
is a specific reccomendation for archival processing.

Bob