Re: darkroom chemicals

Look into Tim Rudman's toning book.
There is a full chapter in processing/toning for permanence and this
is discussed in depth.
>From what I rememebr:
- Sulfide is the MOST archival toner
- Selenium is archival only when carried out to completion
- Gold is protective
- Iron, copper, uranium, etc. can actually degrade images faster.

RE: Properly processed negatives last a long time
I agree.  Last year my father in law brought a lot of old images he
wanted me to print.
Some of them from the 1910s (images of my wife's great-grandfather
taken in Paris before WWI) and besides a "few" scratches due to
improper storage the negatives looked perfect, were printable and
produced very good images.
I even found a couple of pictures with my dad as a kid (1940s) in them!