Re: darkroom chemicals

None of your references comes from Kodak.  A fine point, but quite important
in my view. Lets look at your references:

> http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-process/2000/jun00/0427.htm

The Alt list is not a reference worth trusting a hundred percent of the
time, no list is.  It is a mailing list and granted, there are some people
that likely know a few things, but the list should not be trusted to prove
anyone's point.  I have talked with some of these list "experts" and it is
quite clear many know very little about photochemistry or photography, for
that matter.

For example, the general opinion of some of that list's membership that
nitrate negatives will usually fall apart and therefore cannot be trusted.
Quite untrue.  Or the idea that if it is to last, you must always use
archival storage materials. Again, not always true.  Kraft envelopes are
bad - not true! Or glassine is dangerous -again, NOT, TRUE. That Kodak never
offered sheet Kodachrome or prints made on a Kodachrome emulsion coated on a
plastic support. NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE, NOT!!! TRUE!!!

Another list reader was an "expert" on old movie technology and she could
not explain how the Technicolor process worked; she claimed Technicolor once
offered a special Technicolor Tri-Pack film to producers and studios. Later,
she sent me a link and an excuse; the link was equally wrong and I did not
buy her excuse.

Another said dyes will always fade, but pigments never not fade. He was not
aware of the Dye Transfer/Wash-Off Relief process that proves he is full of
bilge. Sorry, I would look for better proof.

> http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/dirsci/dirsci.html

I found no specific references to rapid selenium toner and it makes a
difference because at one time, Kodak offered a selenium toner as well as a
rapid selenium toner.  Yes, it could be the same formula and the name
perhaps was changed. I will allow for that possibility. I am not sure
because the Rapid version gave me a different tone on Ektalure than the
"standard" selenium toner. When I toned papers, I preferred Sepia Toner.

One reference discussed microfilm and selenium. Apparently, the link above
references ongoing research and not hard data. I will admit, I did not read
it all. To lazy, I suppose.  Or, perhaps the reason is this: that page was
written in 1990 and therefore, it is (probably) out of date. That causes a
problem because much can be learned in five years.

These discussions are usually based on bad or incomplete information.
Sometimes, the information from large organizations is clearly incorrect as
well. I have talked to conservators clearly without a clue and/or any deep
knowledge about their freaking job.

Sorry to break it to you, but some lists are started by people with very
little knowledge about the topic the  list pertains to. Quite often, the
list members add info that is clearly incorrect or out of date. Someone told
me iron was never used to make toners because it will not work. WRONG. That
Kodak never offered as many papers as I discussed. Wrong; Kodak offered
hundreds of papers, grades 0-6 (in some cases) and dozens of surfaces not
offered today.  That Kodachrome never came in 828, 126, 110; "I must be
thinking of Ektachrome."

By the way, at one time, Kodak offered a catalog of sundry items and
equipment that was slowly phased out and (sadly) no longer available. A vast
number of products; some of which the George Eastman House says were not
manufactured by Kodak; "I must be thinking of Dupont or Ansko." Note the
spelling?

The "Image Permanence Institute" entry discusses microfilm, not conventional
film and papers.

Forget toning and GPS for a moment. If the film is properly processed, it
will last. Examples in my collection absolutely prove this and there can be
no debate. Yes, storage can make a difference, but these days, far too many
people point to dubious "proof" that is more often than not, a matter of
guessing rather than actual hard supporting data. For all I know, these
curious tests were not properly done.

> http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003T6K

This page is a discussion between people that may or may not know what they
are talking about. You really cannot trust lists and forums  for accurate
data in every post.  It is, after all, just another Internet list or forum.

Again, where does it specifically say, in Kodak's words, these toners and
protectants do not work? I just took a look on Kodak's web site and they
specifically recommend the use of Rapid Selenium Toner for Archival
Processing. They recommend: "Dilute 1:20 for print protection and  1:20 or
1:40 to increase shadow contrast and maximum density with a minimum tone
change." The same page mentions gold solutions; several in fact.

One person said this, "...the upshot was that if a weaker solution of
selenium was used, the protection would be not as complete as a strong
solution." The poster is probably guessing; even at 1:40, there is more
protection than is actually needed.

This link also discusses microfilm, not what we are talking about. I know
all about microfilm and how it is processed. I also know about Illfochrome
Color Micrographics film and it will last for a very long time. Some
self-proclaimed experts have never mention this film, so they are not
experts.

> http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Archival/archival.html

>From the above link, "When queried as to where such pollutants come from, he
stated: "The acids are emitted by wood, plywood, particle board, and
chipboard, and the formaldehydes are emitted by carpets, draperies,
upholstery, and certain plastics.  In addition, sunlight entering a building
causes the buildup of ozone, peroxides, nitric acid, and other
nitrogen-containing molecules..."  Dramatic examples of accelerated aging
tests are shown in the article. Judging from the examples, ArtCare board
appears to be superior to 100% rag board for long-term preservation.  Test
results also indicate that dry-mounted prints, no matter what board they are
mounted on, fare better than prints that are hinged or corner-mounted.  The
dry mount tissue serves as a barrier to pollutants that have been absorbed
by the mount board."

Our collection was stored in hundreds of liquor boxes; the plates and
negatives were stored individually in Kraft paper envelopes, 11x14/16x20
plates on shelves. Apparently this is a "bad idea," because it causes
"problems" Sorry, my experience was this was not a big issue and the fact
tat some of the images were produced in in the 1800s,  show the storage
materials and storage conditions are  important, but not a guarantee that
disaster will happen.

Why did they last? Well, we did things correctly. Proper chemical mixing,
attention paid to exhaustion, stop bath, two fix baths, proper washing, and
the use of hypo eliminators. Since the 1800s, and no evidence of
degradation, spots, funky tones, or smells.

100% rag board is mentioned but not discussed much. Except that it is a bad
idea and as the comment stands, silly to be sure. What kind of 100% rag are
we (they) talking about? I have many items printed on 100% rag and they
suffer few problems. Our currency is 100% rag and it is exposed to many
strange conditions. Still holds up. I have cheap stamped envelopes going
back many decades, and still in perfect condition. It is quite likely these
envelopes are 100% rag.  I have some "dime novels" still in pristine
condition, but printed on cheap paper pulp.

Furthermore, I have many images mounted on poor quality materials like
pressed pulp and Masonite. Again, no problems. So what do I believe? My
large collection of solid evidence or someone's "proof" the images will not
last?

I find all sorts of words like "apparently." So apparently, this page is
written by someone with no proof, just a few too many words like
"apparently."

(SNIP)

> btw, I also run my own tests and always advised my students to do the same
> rather than believe everything one is told by photographers, lecturers
> (including me) or reads, especially when one purports to expound on facts.
> Oddly, there are people out there in the world who seek glory or gold at
> the expense of truth, something I've never quite come to understand..

I am all for testing. However, and no offence, but how are you testing? How
are your students testing? Specifics please. You are probably not setup to
properly test these issues; your students are most certainly not. I was once
a teacher at the SLC Art Center ("Art Barn," Finch Lane, Utah) so I know
students will often parrot what they are told by their instructors.

Last month I was told my statements about polarizers were wrong. I said
solid glass polarizers are not available; all filters available to
photographers are film sandwiched between glass. People want to argue that
fine point. The "experts" want to argue; one sent me a link to a page
"proving" you can buy solid glass (dyed in the mass) polarizers. This page
had a typo. So I discount most everything these experts have to say.

Again, no offence, but, if you lecturing, why tell your students not to
believe your words? You can believe my words. Barring the absence of
legitimate proof that I am incorrect about something I serve up in a list
post.

We live in a world where much of our knowledge is available with a simple
Google search. Unfortunately, we have access to an equal amount of incorrect
information, as well. Then it spreads. God help us all.

For all I know, you are correct and Kodak did say what you say they said.
So I am asking for a legitimate link to an exact quote from Kodak, not a web
site or mailing list. Back up your words and offer me a few crumbs. Until
you do, I will refuse to believe you. Sorry about that (Smiley+)

Bob - Trying To Be Fair - In Utah