Re: darkroom chemicals

: : Not so fast. Where does Kodak say "metal" toners do not offer
protection?

and some references:

http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-process/2000/jun00/0427.htm
(note something that's not mentioned in this article, Kodak selenium toner
has a high content of fix, something few people seem to know even though
it's mentioned on the label)

see article by the Image Permanence Institute (IPI)
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/dirsci/dirsci.html

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003T6K

on the gold toner issue, from experiments at RIT?s IPI:
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Archival/archival.html

"Perhaps the most shocking discovery of the past couple of decades has been
that the noble metals in many popular toners do not always provide adequate
protection for silver images. Silver is only protected from oxidation to
the extent that it is completely replaced or plated over by a more stable
element (gold, platinum, or palladium) "

there's more but I can't put my finger on the ref's at the moment.

btw, I also run my own tests and always advised my students to do the same
rather than believe everything one is told by photographers, lecturers
(including me) or reads, especially when one purports to expound on facts.
Oddly, there are people out there in the world who seek glory or gold at
the expense of truth, something I've never quite come to understand..

(only the facts ma'am)