Re: DOSemu networking made easy

Mateusz Viste <mateusz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Well, the challenge is simple: let's say that a dos app wants to
> connect to 1.2.3.4. There is no chance to 'translate' this into an
> ipv6 address, because both protocols use very different addressing
> models. Sure there exist some mechanisms that try to solve this by
> spoofing dns records, providing the client with a fake ip, and then
> remembering that this ip has to be redirected to the AAAA record of
> the initially targeted host. But from a network point of view this is
> total havoc, and I wouldn't expect any sane person to create an actusl
> implemention :) It makes much more sense to use a http proxy then, and
> reach external services via the CONNECT method. This is at least
> totally transparent at the TCP/IP level, and the client knows that it
> will receive a bare tcp stream (but it requires the client to support
> http tunneling).

For dos applications a http or socks proxy or just running a dedicated
IPv4 network until you no longer need or old crufty dos apps will
probably work for the forseable future.

There is a way to do stateless NAT64 (see RFC6877) with an IPv6 client
and an IPv4 server that isn't too bad at all.  You can pair it with
DNS64 or even better a little proxy on your client device that makes it
IPv4 again and what you effectively have is an IPv4 tunnel over IPv6.
For cell phone networks whose cost double if they offer normal dual
stack that is a very attractive way to go.  Android should include
an implementation of RFC6877 in it's next major release.

With an IPv4 client and IPv6 server the situation sucks because you
don't have enough address bits and you can't look dual stack to your
applictions so something will find a way to break.

> I dont know how is the availability of slirp on fedora. I had no
> problem to install it via the package manager of my OpenSuse
> though. But I guess it was contained in a non-suse repo anyway
> (packman probably?). Can fedora use outside repos?

Fedora can uses outside repos.

>  Otherwise the
> solution could be to package a slirp executable along with dosemu
> (eg. as /usr/bin/dosemu-slirp).

Eric