Re: DOSemu networking made easy

Hi Stas!

No, it's not naive at all :). And my descriptions are probably lacking a fair amount of clarity.

> actually solve? I can see some advantage of this over
> the bridging tap0 with eth0 solution,

Bridging tap0 with eth0 requires that:
 - there is a DHCP server somewhere in the network
- you are actually using always eth0 (and not wlan0 for instance when on the road, and eth0 when at home, etc)
 - you need to have the right to use more than 1 IP

All the conditions above are often unrealistic on a laptop, moving from home/office/hotel on the road, etc.

> but what advantage
> does it give over the static route with masquerading solution?

Technically - very little. BUT:
 - it's probably much easier to use taprouter
 - you don't need to play with NAT on your own PC
- you don't need to enable ipforward=1 on your PC (which I am usually relunctant to do when being on a foreign network)

> You seem to be saying that the dosemu's networking
> configuration tends to change when you relocate your
> laptop - I can agree with this if we talk about bridging,
> but is it still true for the routing case?

No, it is not indeed. The only differences are points above.
basically taprouter makes it possible to use DOSemu with networking without reconfiguring your host PC to act as a router with NAT & possibly DHCP. Plus, taprouter works in usermode (no need to play with commands that look obscure to many people using the root account).

in fact, taprouter provides exactly the same service than most hypervisors do nowadays (like virtualbox, qemu, bochs..). ie. a 'net user' networking mode, where the user don't have to care about networking configuration, because as long as his host PC have internet access, the virtual machine (or DOSemu in this case) will, too.

> I think I can just install a generic DHCP server and dosemu
> will be able to reach it.

Sure. You are also one step away from spoofing any possible DHCP servers on whatever network you connect to, if you don't take extra care about how you configure your DHCP server. ;) The solutions you describe are perfectly valid, but they are targeted to people that know exactly what they are doing, and why (and able to adapt the configuration when needed). taprouter is targetted to people that don't have in-depth networking knowledge, and just want 'internet to work in DOSemu', or simply don't have time to wonder if their DOSemu setup will brake whenever they move from one network to another.

> Also, if tap0 is bridged with eth0,
> dosemu will be able to reach an outer DHCP server.
> Is this not true?

Totally true. But again, it applies to the situation when there is a DHCP server out there, AND you are allowed to use more than 1 IP address at a time.

> I am not sure what does this mean:
> ---
> taprouter expects you to use the IP address 10.0.2.1 as a default gateway
> ---
> you mean default gateway for dosemu or what?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. From the point of view of DOSemu, DOSemu thinks it's in a 10.0.2.0/24 LAN with a single gateway, and a single DNS server - and these won't change, no matter how the 'real' network situation of the host looks like.

> Why your tool itself need a tap device?

because it acts like a tap client. You'd have to imagine that the bridge is a L2 switch, and tap interfaces are RJ45 sockets :). You connect both your DOSemu and the router to the switch, so they can speak to each other. I think this needs to be explained with a drawing - a will do such schema and post it on my website.

> Never used dosemu with DHCP, but I haven't expected there
> are any problems that need an extra tool to solve.

Because in fact, technically there is no need - you can just as well obtain the same result with pure bridging or tap routing + masquerading, with optionally a DHCP server running on your PC, and maybe a DNS relay. But it's far from being trivial to set up, and additionally you have to keep in mind that you need to adapt the whole thing when your network settings change, and make sure that nobody can use your machine now as a DNS server and/or anonymous router and/or DHCP server.

I hope it's a bit clearer now :) Let me know.

cheers,
Mateusz