Re: Thought experiment [Re: Quality of Directorate reviews]

On 11/7/19 3:19 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
     > This is where the biggest disconnect between 2026 and reality is.   If the
     > reality is that industry is going to deploy implementations at Proposed
     > Standard or sooner (and as far as I can tell, that's been reality for as long
     > as there's been an Internet "industry"), it makes sense for IETF to recognize
     > that and react accordingly.

You are saying this as if it's a bug.
It's not!  It's by design.
We deploy at PS in order to find out if there is interoperability.

My first impression is that this is indeed a bug, a tremendous disservice to Internet users.   But I remind myself that automatic software update is becoming increasingly common.   So at least for products that are certain to be run on Internet-connected hosts (as opposed to, say, on air-gapped networks), and for which secure update can be provided, there might be cases for which premature deployment makes sense - especially if there's a strategy designed into the protocol for dealing with version skew in the endpoints' implementations.   (Assuming public internet connectivity isn't at all the general case, but it's an important corner case.)

Also, PS criteria were specifically not designed for deployment; the idea was that you need interop testing before deploying.   But if interop testing were incorporated earlier in the process (which does seem to be more common these days) then the sequencing assumed by 2026 might be suboptimal.

I could imagine that rather than the initial RFC being at PS, it could be (for some cases, probably not all) at something akin to what Draft Standard used to be - interop testing already done by the time the initial RFC is published, with any changes made as a result of the testing incorporated into that RFC.

     > If we want there to be a prototype "just for testing" status, it should
     > probably be called something other than Proposed - the name has come to mean
     > something else in IETF context.   And we should deliberately change one or
     > more protocol elements to make the standard incompatible with

We do "just for testing" regularly at the internet-draft stage.

yeah, and it doesn't make sense to go through the whole RFC publication process just to agree on a specification to test to.

Keith