Thought experiment [Re: Quality of Directorate reviews]

Here's a thought experiment.

Update the standards process such that the approval of Proposed Standard
RFCs, after an IETF last call including some specified cross-area review
requirements, is done by the WG consensus process with the consent of the AD .

Why would that work? Because it now incents the WG chairs by making them,
in effect, where the buck stops. So the WG chairs and AD (typically
a committee of three) will feel the obligation to get everything
right. And it scales.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter