Re: Thought experiment [Re: Quality of Directorate reviews]

Two WG chairs is almost the norm these days. But yes, the essence of
the experiment is to reduce the number of people in the decision
process - and intentionally lower the bar for Proposed Standard closer
to how it's defined in RFC2026:

But 2026 criteria assumed a three-stage standards track.   Now we're down to two stages in theory, and still usually just one stage in practice.   As far as I can tell, getting rid of Draft Standard hasn't done anything to make Proposed Standard less of a terminal state and more of a stepping-stone.

   A Proposed Standard specification is generally stable, has resolved
   known design choices, is believed to be well-understood, has received
   significant community review, and appears to enjoy enough community
   interest to be considered valuable.  However, further experience
   might result in a change or even retraction of the specification
   before it advances.
RFC2026 also says:
   Implementors should treat Proposed Standards as immature
   specifications.  It is desirable to implement them in order to gain
   experience and to validate, test, and clarify the specification.
   However, since the content of Proposed Standards may be changed if
   problems are found or better solutions are identified, deploying
   implementations of such standards into a disruption-sensitive
   environment is not recommended.

(emphasis mine)

This is where the biggest disconnect between 2026 and reality is.   If the reality is that industry is going to deploy implementations at Proposed Standard or sooner (and as far as I can tell, that's been reality for as long as there's been an Internet "industry"), it makes sense for IETF to recognize that and react accordingly.

If we want there to be a prototype "just for testing" status, it should probably be called something other than Proposed - the name has come to mean something else in IETF context.   And we should deliberately change one or more protocol elements to make the standard incompatible with already-deployed implementations.   The trick would be to keep that information from leaking out beforehand.    Maybe give the RSE N options for things to change that are selected at random, similarly to the way nomcoms are selected.

Also, the WG completion, IESG approval and RFC publication dates of a new standard should be determined well in advance so that vendors can tailor their product development schedules to those dates.   This would mean holding WGs, IESG, and the RSE to a schedule (gasp!) once there was confidence that the document would be standardized (another argument for broad review well prior to Last Call.)  I'm not saying that there could absolutely be no slippage, but reality should be close enough that developers can plan by it.

But my guess is that the only way to get buy-in for Prototype specifications would be to convincingly promise faster development.

Keith