Re: Tolerance

On 7/17/19 3:43 AM, Nick Hilliard wrote:

Keith Moore wrote on 17/07/2019 00:35:
I wonder how many useful contributors of the past we've scared away by trying to curtail their earnest efforts to contribute discussion of frustrating technical problems?

I know of many people in the operational community who either don't contribute or who no longer contribute to IETF discussions because of perceived hostility.

I don't doubt this at all, but there's more than one kind of hostility.     Personal insults are one kind of hostility. Attacks on a speaker's "tone" are often, I submit, another kind of hostility.   Especially over email, the same words can be read in many different ways by different readers.   Even in person or with audio, frustration can be confused with anger - and these discussions are inevitably frustrating sometimes.

Shutting down speakers because of their "tone" has the effect of explicitly permitting attacks on a speaker based on nothing more than a listener's (or listeners') prejudice against the speaker. I've seen it happen many times, and IMO it would be a grave mistake to legitimize the practice.

Even if the listener's hostility is not toward the speaker him- or herself, but only to the ideas that the speaker is proposing, arguing against them on the basis of their "tone" rather than their content is an extremely unhelpful distraction.  By all means suggest edits to improve the presentation of the ideas, but try to evaluate the actual ideas.

A speaker with an unusual point of view may see a situation in sharp relief as compared to others' view of that situation.   If the speaker describes that situation in strong terms, he or she is merely reporting the situation as he or she sees it.   The speaker's point of view is not necessarily wrong, nor is the speaker's motivation.   IETF should not be hostile to varied points-of-view, though of course decisions still have to earn rough consensus.

Keith