Re: Proposed Photography Policy

On Mar 2, 2018, at 7:40 PM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Besides, if the issue were really about creating a conducive environment, it would be more useful to start with “don’t knock people over to get a cookie at the break”.

I was not aware that this was a problem.

Gasp. Take a video ;-) at the next break, or perhaps more significantly, the next “social event”.

I recall particularly a wonderful cultural presentation at the IETF in Seoul many years ago.

Or at least it would have been if everyone had sat down so that more than just the front row around the dance floor could see. Instead, everyone stood. Everyone behind them stood and pushed forward. And so on.

I recall walking out of the venue into the brisk night air - and never attended a “social” event again. That was the cap on a series of events - not just that one that night, and not just that event, but nearly every one preceding.

The people who attended the IETF were (at least last time I went), individually, fine (YMMV).

The dynamics of the hoard overtook them en masse. I was embarrassed at their disrespect for our hosts, and more embarrassed to be identified as an IETF attendee for the rest of that meeting.

So seriously, if you find the need to make a list to educate proper social behavior, clear out your hard drives - you’ll need the space.

Joe