Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

We aren’t talking here about leaders suppressing speech, if the country has split power, what I’m talking is about courts acting independently of the government to apply laws. In this specific case, it was that way: Court order not Government.

Again, take the example of the child pornography. A court order bans it. Is that against freedom of speech? Is ISOC going to say that?

Here we have a similar case. Let me copy the text I responded in private to someone else:

“No, what I’m arguing is that ISOC trust .CAT folks and not having talked with the other Spanish ISOC chapters to verify it, instead of going to read the court order.

My point here is not the Catalonia problem, is a general statement to make in the ISOC “rules” that ISOC MUST not interfere with court orders, unless they can verify what is being said at the court order.

In this case, the court order indicated a list of very specific unlawful sites, but ISOC published that it was a global order to .cat to ban any political sites. It is a big difference. Our constitution doesn’t enable splitting the country and consequently a voting on that, was declared against law by our constitutional court, which ordered the police to avoid it (same way the police must avoid any other criminal or unlawful act, is their duty). Our constitution allows to be amended, but Catalonia Government don’t want that, they want to make sure they split and do at their own way, regardless only 25% of the Catalonian want that (which is only 5% of the total country population!).

Not sure if that's clearer.”

Regards,
Jordi