Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 01:59:44PM -0700, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hi Keith,
> At 12:44 PM 29-10-2017, Keith Moore wrote:
> >Nations are sometimes perceived as interfering in ordinary
> >people's ability to live and function.
>
> I unfortunately cannot do much about that.

I thought the Internet translation of
"comply with all local laws and regulations"
was "offer services from a foreign country".

As funny but true as it was in hmm... 1995 ? when i think i first
heard it, it is still the most fundamental opportunity and challenge
of the Internet. And i do not see a good reflection of that
in the mission statement.

Overall:
I do not think the mission statement as it stands right now (and
has in the past) is very useful. Nobody who is not deeply involved
in ISOC overall would be able to translate all these bullet points
into actual facts of interest. I can maybe translate half way 3..5
bullet points but i would still prefer hard facts over uninspiring
headlines that by themselves read only like marketing.

I suggest ISOC sits down, takes those 8 bullet points and
converts them into 8 sections for the ISOC wikipedia entry, where each
section could be lets say 1/2 ... 1 page long, highlighting the
core historic achievements, current challenges and ongoing activies
for each of these bullet points.

And then make https://www.internetsociety.org/mission/ point to
the wikipedia article.

That is how the Internet should work IMHO.

Also:
ISOC is not only the Internet (surprise). I am totally missing
a statement about supporting proliferation of open technologies,
development, operations and management practices of the Internet
to infinity and beyond. Is that not what IoT will be all about ?
That is not going to be the Internet. That is going to be
many internets totalling much more than the Internet will ever
be.

Cheers
    Toerless

--