Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

Hi Toerless,

> I suggest ISOC sits down, takes those 8 bullet points and converts
> them into 8 sections for the ISOC wikipedia entry, where each section
> could be lets say 1/2 ... 1 page long, highlighting the core historic
> achievements, current challenges and ongoing activies for each of
> these bullet points.

As I have discussed elsewhere, based on the preliminary feedback
we received, we have decided to keep the list you are referring to
*unmodified* for the time being. We may want to revise it at some point
in the future, but the plan is not to do that now. When we (eventually)
get to revise it, I fully agree with you such a highlights of activities
list should contain the most relevant *current* activities. I also agree
that having explicit explanations about ISOC's activities is useful.
ISOC's new web page will hopefully address that.

> ISOC is not only the Internet (surprise). I am totally missing a
> statement about supporting proliferation of open technologies,
> development, operations and management practices of the Internet to
> infinity and beyond. Is that not what IoT will be all about ? That is
> not going to be the Internet. That is going to be many internets
> totalling much more than the Internet will ever be.

So, you do not think the *Internet* Society is about the "Internet" ;-)
And you do not think the *Internet* of Things is part of the Internet? :-)

Seriously though, the term Internet in this context is used in general
and includes IoT deployments that are connected to the public Internet.

Cheers,

Gonzalo