Re: Interim (and other) meeting guidelines versus openness, transparency, inclusion, and outreach

Carsten,

Let me start with your last comment and then come back to the
top.  And let me try to make a distinction with which you might
not agree and Keith, whom you implicitly cited, might not
either.  But maybe it will help us, and whomever is reading
this, understand each other's perspectives.  If there are cases
in which destroying work, or even preventing work that falls
within a WG charter and the provisions of RFCs 2026, 2418, and
friends, I think they apply only were there are clear and
intentional cases of trying to work around IETF procedures to
accomplish some specific goal.  Work done within the IETF that
does not attain that level of abusive behavior should not be
discarded (or destroyed) except as eliminated through a fair and
informed consensus process.

That leaves out another case that I'm concerned about but would
rather not get distracted by today.  That involves work done
outside the IETF, perhaps by a small cluster of cooperating
companies, deployed by those companies, then brought to the IETF
for ratification and defended in a WG on the basis that it is
already deployed and cannot be changed.  I believe we need to do
a better job of addressing those issues and setting conditions
at charter time: raising the issues of that particular type of
cabal later in the process is never going to come out well.

And, as I said in my earlier note, I'm far more concerned about
conditions under which well-intentioned but pathological
behavior can result from rules that are not clear enough and/or
create problems with meaningful consensus.  And that brings me
back to the top of your note; inline below.

--On Monday, July 17, 2023 17:58 +0200 Carsten Bormann
<cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17. Jul 2023, at 17:45, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> "This document is a product of the Internet Engineering
>> Task Force (IETF).  It represents the consensus of the
>> IETF community."
>
> We check WG consensus at WGLC, and IETF consensus at IETF last
> call.

> In a first approximation, the way we run interim meetings has
> nothing to do with it.

And that may lie at the core or where we _may_ disagree.  I see
almost everything we do in the IETF, especially within WGs, as a
consensus development process, one in which representation of a
broad range of perspectives and discussion of alternate views is
critical.  The more recent comments about LC being too late are
part of this, but only part.   When you start talking about
"checking" consensus on a given document and treat the process
leading up to that document as essentially irrelevant, we become
far closer to a "stamp of approval" body or, perhaps more to the
point, a legislative or imperial review body that is presented
with a final proposal and then gets to either approve it, tweak
it a bit, or reject it entirely.  The latter might even carry
with it negative consequences to the approval body, e.g. the
risk of setting off a revolution.

That distinction becomes very important if, e.g., the scheduling
or announcement process for an interim (including timely posting
of the agenda and adequate minutes from prior meetings)
succeeds, however unintentionally, in excluding some people or
perspectives from the WG discussions who would have wanted to
contribute and might have had something useful to say.  It
becomes equally important if a document author, with the backing
of the WG chairs and/or others in the WG behaves in a fashion
that suppresses views with which they disagree and the people
who hold those views walk away (from either the IETF or just
from the WG).  If that occurs, it becomes very easy for the WG
to move forward efficiently (because all dissenting voices have
been eliminated) and for the document to get through the WGLC
"check".  The effect is much the same if newcomers to the WG
appear after work is already in progress and raise new issues.
The most efficient way for the WG to proceed is to convince them
to go away.  Effective IETF consensus-building and quality
results for a better Internet (as well as our Code of Conduct
and anti-harassment policies) require that they be welcomed into
the WG and that their input be respected and considered in a
fair way.

Now, if the issues those excluded people might have introduced
in the WG are caught on IETF LC, possibly because they (having
just given up on he WG but not on the IETF) raise them and the
IESG and community listen, in theory no harm is done except to
the WG's reputation (and maybe that of its leadership) and the
desired schedule.  In practice in recent years, it doesn't work
that way.  Most ADs seem very reluctant to hand a document back
to the WG and say "Fail! Start over".  And I think we've seen
WGs (or authors) take positions equivalent to "we put in all the
time and energy on this and reached WG consensus, time is
pressing, and this is good enough so those objections should not
undo things".

Of course, if the work involves subject matter with which few
IETF participants outside the WG are familiar or, e.g.,
interactions with standards developed elsewhere, if the WG
succeeds (however unintentionally) in driving people with
knowledge but different expertise away (or convinces regular
IETF participants that interacting with them and their documents
is just not worth the energy) then the odds of IETF LC actually
turning up the issues is low.

If documents are approved via either of those scenarios, we have
a situation that is sometimes called consensus by exhaustion.
That is not informed consensus of the IETF community and we
should not, IMO, be doing business that way (no matter how
efficient it might be for the "winners").

> Obvious, I am aware that intermediate decisions of a WG can
> shape where effort is actually applied. So the consensus at
> the end may be "let's accept that garbage because we never
> got around to doing the right thing". This is one reason why
> I'm lamenting about preventing (or destroying) work, and we
> have to pay attention to where a WG is spending its limited
> budget of computrons.

I am far more concerned about the possibility of "let's accept
that garbage because all of the people who might have argued for
a different approach were driven away, either before or after we
refused to consider their input".

> But this doesn't detract from the way we detect consensus.

I think the above reasoning suggests that it does.  That is,
unless we have moved from the advertised "consensus of the IETF
community" (and I keep wishing we'd put "informed" in front of
that) to something closer to "able to get past a couple or
checks no matter what it takes".  In the latter case, nothing
makes any difference other than those checks (as an extreme
interpretation of what you said would suggest) and we should be
revising our claims about what IETF Stream publication and
standards track publication mean.

best,
   john