Re: Interim (and other) meeting guidelines versus openness, transparency, inclusion, and outreach

IETF procedures explicitly allow for open and closed dsign teams.  They also allow for self-formed teasm and teams appointed by WG chairs.  There is very little procedural requirement on them.  Presumably, since the work is intended to be contribution to the IETF, the Note Well applies to design teams.

IN my experience, closed design teams formed for a specific purpose tend to work better than the alternatives.  But different WGs and different problems prompt different approaches.

Yours,

Joel

On 7/16/2023 3:59 AM, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:

On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 6:08 AM Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16-Jul-23 15:50, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Why is attending biweekly con calls exclusionary?

It depends where one lives and whether one has a full-time occupation. But really the point isn't there, it's whether the result of such calls (which de facto are design team meetings, not WG sessions) is brought back to a genuine WG plenary, electronically or in person, for an effective debate.

I'd probably be more comfortable if these meetings were pitched as open design team meetings; that would make things clearer.

Are all IETF design_teams open? I experience close ones, and did our IETF procedure mention that the design_team MUST be open?

AB