Re: Interim (and other) meeting guidelines versus openness, transparency, inclusion, and outreach

Carsten,

Thanks.

Three observations, one partially inspired by your later note:

(1) Whether we have "slipped yet" possibly depends on how one
defines "slipped", especially because it is very easy for people
to confuse "I don't like the results of that WG's work" with
"there must have been process problems because no open, diverse
technically, and fair could have come up with results like
that".

(2) Circumstances and WGs undoubtedly differ, but as a general
principle, I think we should worry that a WG that is holding
bi-weekly interims is, however unintentionally, being
non-inclusive, just because of the time zone issues and the high
time commitment for those specific times in multiple weeks.
Better if the days of the week and times are rotated, but still
an issue.  That does not mean frequent interims are never
justified; it does imply to me that the reasons why it is the
best alternative should be clearly documented and reviewed
outside the WG.  In general, I agree with you about WG chairs
and ADs getting things right, but that depends to some degree on
the chairs having different perspectives and the AD watching and
being engaged.  At the other extreme, if an AD is overextended
and operating in "trust the WG chairs" mode and the WG chairs
have either delegated the issues to one of their number or are
acting as echo chambers for each other, the angle and friction
level of that slope can be fairly uncomfortable.

(3) Tranquility in a WG can arise from a whole range of
different situations.  At one extreme, active participants may
represent a wide range of experience and perspectives and be
working smoothly together to resolve differences, find
appropriate balance among tradeoffs, etc.  That is, at least
IMO, fairly close to an IETF ideal.  At the other, a WG and its
discussions can become tranquil and efficient because all
alternate perspectives and dissenting views have dropped out of
the discussions (or not been involved in the first place).  That
does not require any malice.  It could occur accidentally by
excessive dependence on interim meetings, especially ones are
have schedules inconvenient to some. It could be that the only
ones who care enough about a WG's subject matter represent a
small range of perspectives or even a small set of
organizational interests.  The effect can be as exclusionary as
a deliberate effort to make the WG inhospitable to anyone who
disagrees with its leadership.  However, that sort of
homogeneity leads to tranquility too.

best,
   john

--On Friday, July 14, 2023 00:34 +0200 Carsten Bormann