Interim (and other) meeting guidelines versus openness, transparency, inclusion, and outreach

Hi.

I am seeing a situation in which the IETF's perceived or claimed
goals, the guidelines intended to accomplish those goals (and
how they are interpreted), and the actual practices seem to be
inconsistent.   While this note was stimulated by a few
particular examples, it appears to me that everyone involved has
acted in good faith, following the guidelines as they understood
them or making honest and reasonable mistakes so I hope we can
look forward to what we want rather than getting dragged down
into details about the past.

Since I've been involved in the IETF, the main reasons given for
insisting that WG announce their meetings (especially interim
ones) in advance, and even post agendas in advance, has been to
invite attendance by interested IETF participants (or even
interested parties who do not see themselves as active IETF
participants).   To the extent to which we are actually trying
to do outreach to other communities and bring new people into
the IETF, including more diverse groups, that same sort of
public advance announcement of meetings (and agenda) is vital.
Otherwise, we are at risk of WGs turning into private clubs with
people with shared interests, background, assumptions, and
possibly narrow goals talking only with each other.  In
addition, for people too involved with other work to follow a
WG's mailing list or every step in document evolution,
observation of what is going on in a WG and in its discussions
is essential to the sort of broader review and input that we
would like to avoid showing up for the first time during IETF LC
(if then).  Some recent discussions that have claimed the IETF
published certain protocols in error and because of
insufficiently broad reviews indirectly highlight that point.

RFC 2418 provides for "interim" meetings, including what we now
call virtual ones, applying to them all of the rules for
"advance notification, reporting, open participation, and
process, which apply to other working group meetings".  The
other documents that are now part of BCP 25 do not appear to me
to make any changes in those requirements.   At least partially
because of the pandemic, the IESG has provided several version
of guidance for interim meetings.  The current guidance [1]
clarifies the rules for such meetings and relaxes them somewhat
compared to a narrow reading of 2418.

However, that guidance can be interpreted as fairly close to
"virtual interims are for active WG participants and no one else
is particularly relevant".  It seems to me that an
interpretation like that would be ok for a design team but is
questionable for a WG and potentially damaging to the IETF if
WGs and the IESG use that interpretation. The reason for this
note is to see if others agree or if I'm seriously in the rough.
In particular, see the bullet list in the Guidance statement
under "The guidelines for online interim meetings of IETF
working groups..." and note that...

(1) The current guidance for virtual interims apparently does
not require ADs to be involved with, or sign off on, such
meetings and their schedules.  It does say that plans should
(lower case) be discussed with them, but that is about it.
That is perhaps consistent with recent discussions along the
lines of "trust the WG chairs" but, if questions arise about the
appropriateness of such a meeting and who was or was not
realistically invited, it might  be good to have them aware that
it is being held.

(2) The discussions on mtgvenue and elsewhere have let many of
us to the conclusion that, if we want to be fair to present and
potential participants, there are no perfect timezones and, at
least, some rotation is in order (that is, of course, also the
argument for primary reliance on email rather than meetings or
other real-time conversations).  But the guidance says "allow
fair access for all working group participants".  If that
includes "potential participants", no problem.  If it is
construed as "already active participants --either who are on
the WG mailing list or a subset of them", it promotes a closed
group.

(3) It is not clear that the announcement two weeks in advance
is required to be to IETF-Announce or whether announcement to
the WG list is sufficient.   It is unclear what the Secretariat
is expected to do when a request arrives less, potentially even
much less, than two weeks before the meeting if there are
grounds to believe that active WG participants know it is
coming.  Similarly, there is no guidance to the WG Chairs or ADs
(or, in principle, the Secretariat) if agendas do not show up on
the WG list (and, presumably, the datatracker although the
guidance doesn't say that) at least a week in advance of the
scheduled time.  Note that the latter issue may apply to
in-person meetings during IETF as well -- there have been
several incidents during recent IETF meetings in which agendas
have neither been announced on WG lists not appeared on the
agenda pages until a day or two before the WG session (or later).

(4) The historical rules against interim meetings being held
close to an IETF meeting apparently do not apply to virtual
interims, which can apparently be held during the prior or
subsequent few days or even overlapping the main meeting.

I can propose some specific changes to the Guidance statement if
people think that would be justified, but the key question right
now is whether everyone is ok with the current situation,
including holding interim meetings on very short notice to
anyone outside the WG, without ADs having any responsibility to
be involved and sign off on them, without agendas at least a
week in advance, and/or very close to IETF f2f meetings.

And, of course, if we need to make changes, whether that is
appropriately done by asking the IESG to tune the Guidance
statement(s) or whether it is time to prepare an update for 2418
about this set of topics.

thanks,
   john

[1]