Re: Interim (and other) meeting guidelines versus openness, transparency, inclusion, and outreach

--On Sunday, July 16, 2023 19:19 -0400 Joel Halpern
<jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I understand your email, your question at the end is about
> my opinion on the matters we are wandering around.  My main
> concern is that we follow the rules we have on WG Interims,
> rough consensus of WGs, and other procedural matters.  While
> I have opinions about when and how often itnerims are useful,
> that clearly varies by cases and working groups, so I see no
> point in pushing a general opinion.

Let me expand on Joel's comment a bit and try to get back to my
original note and question.  I don't think abolishing interim
meetings would be a good idea.  I think on can argue that almost
any mechanism of communications and decision-making we use or
can devise is going to put some current or potential
participants at an advantage relative to others (even though
"disenfranchise" might be too strong a term in some cases).
Even email is a problem for those who dislike reading messages
more than a few hundred characters long and our insistence on
English impedes the participation of those who whom
communicating using it requires significant effort.

However, if we are going to function as a community and to have
statements in RFCs like

	"This document is a product of the Internet Engineering
	Task Force (IETF).  It represents the consensus of the
	IETF community."

be meaningful, we need to have general community consensus about
when various mechanisms (typically expressed as "rules") are
appropriate, those rules need to be sufficiently clear that
individuals and groups acting in good faith will all interpret
them the same way (and hence follow them), and that they be
applied in a sufficiently consistent way across WGs to make
"consensus of the IETF community" (as distinct from "consensus
of active participants in a particular WG") meaningful.

None of that implies that the rules need to be over-rigid or
over-constraining.  At least IMO, the IETF has been at its best
with we focus on Doing the Right Thing rather than on seeing how
many rigid procedural rules (or even guideline statements) we
can make... and that both because special circumstances that we
could not anticipate often arise and because (at least
historically) we are far better at designing Internet protocols
than we are at specifying procedural rules that spell out every
possible case and how it should be handled.

My concern is that we are failing on the clarity part, making it
difficult to determine whether the rules are being followed or
not and leading to different interpretations in different
groups.  For example, if one looks at the first bullet of
guidelines for online interim meetings in the most recent IESG
Statement on the subject [1], we see:

	"The meetings are scheduled by the working group chairs,
	who should discuss their plans with the responsible area
	director well ahead of time."

Now, does that mean, for example "a discussion with the AD is
desirable but is not a requirement if it is inconvenient or if
the WG chairs believe the AD might push back" or "a discussion
is required unless there is a good reason, perhaps one that
should be documented"?  Are the criteria for "discuss" such that
there actually needs to be a discussion or is it sufficient to
send a note to the AD mentioning the plan and then take silence
or a delayed response as approval?  And, if some aspect of the
meeting appears to violates provisions of RFC 2418 -- provisions
that an IESG Statement about guidelines can presumably not
override -- does that change that answers?

Without a clarification of the guidelines that answer to those
questions and others about other bullet points (some of which
seem to me to concentrate on the WG where RFC 2418 and notions
of IETF consensus require that attention be paid to the whole
community), I don't see how we can even tell whether the rules
are being followed, much less whether they are being interpreted
and applied consistently across WGs and Areas.

While I am concerned about deliberate efforts to subvert the
rules and their intent, including the possibility of
deliberately organizing or announcing meetings to exclude
certain opinions, abuse of responsibility for moderating mailing
lists to the same end, collusion between WG chairs and ADs, I
think they are just a distraction until the community is clear
about what it wants, we are confident that guidelines and BCPs
are consistent with that clear understanding, and, preferably,
we have a shared understanding of appropriate remedies when
things go wrong even (or especiall6y) if that occurs without
malice or deliberate self-service behavior.

> I do share the concerns that others have expressed that
> various policies disenfranchise various subgroups of folks.
> Which is not good.

Yes, me too.  But, again, I am more concerned above situation
where that happens as an accidental side-effect of poorly
written or otherwise unclear rules and guidelines than when
clever people figure out ways to work around the rules and
deliberately exploit them to create the appearance of IETF
consensus when none exists.  I'd like to think that sort of
behavior is actually rare.  Even if it is not, our first defense
against it involves rules and guidelines that the
better-intentioned majority can and will interpret in consistent
ways.

   john

[1]
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/interim-meetings-guidance/