Re: Interim (and other) meeting guidelines versus openness, transparency, inclusion, and outreach

On 17. Jul 2023, at 17:45, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> "This document is a product of the Internet Engineering
> Task Force (IETF).  It represents the consensus of the
> IETF community.”

We check WG consensus at WGLC, and IETF consensus at IETF last call.

In a first approximation, the way we run interim meetings has nothing to do with it.

Obvious, I am aware that intermediate decisions of a WG can shape where effort is actually applied.
So the consensus at the end may be “let’s accept that garbage because we never got around to doing the right thing”.
This is one reason why I’m lamenting about preventing (or destroying) work, and we have to pay attention to where a WG is spending its limited budget of computrons.

But this doesn’t detract from the way we detect consensus.

Grüße, Carsten